About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ramon Santiago Earns Reds' Bench Role





The Reds' have answered one question during the 40 days they've been in Arizona and it is not who will start opening day.

Ramon Santiago earned a place on the Reds' roster as a non-roster player. The Reds will have to remove one player from the 40-man roster and that has not been answered.

Santiago has been performing the role for a long time, including with the Detroit Tigers last season.  He appeared in 80 games for the Tigers, who played in the ALCS against the Red Sox.  He hit .224 last season and is a career .243 hitter.

Santiago will get more playing time in the National League with pinch hitting and double switches. He has played second, third and shortstop, his natural position and has worked in the outfield this spring.

"We felt we needed to have that type of a player," manager Bryan Price said. "Ramon has been in a tough spot as a big leaguer as a utility infielder. He doesn't put up offensive numbers but does a lot of little things that help you win games."

Santiago is a reliable sure handed shortstop but can go anyplace.

"He won't drive in a lot of runs but he moves runners. He bunts well.  He is a scrappy guy with two strikes. He knows how to play the situation," Price said.  "He's a guy who can not play for awhile and still go out and give you a good performance. That's a skill in and of itself."

Santiago wanted to play for a National League team, knowing he will get on the field more.

"I'm happy. My main focus was to make this team. I will do my best to help teams win ballgames," Santiago said. "The interesting part is the National League, I will have more opportunity to get into a game."

Not playing for stretches has a way of eroding skills in a game where timing is key. It is difficult to come of the bench and hit 90 mph fastballs after seeing nothing but batting practice pitches for a week.

Santiago has learned how to stay ready, it is something that younger players, who have been starters all their lives struggle with.

"I do a lot of preparation in the (batting) cage," Santiago said. "I take a lot of extra ground balls. Whenever, I'm not playing, I take ground balls in three positions. Preparation is very important because you have to be ready when people aren't playing. Between innings I go to the cage a lot. I hit soft toss. I get there early and take ground balls before the other players get there. A lot of young players ask me how I do it. I am always watching the game and doing my homework. You never know when you are going to get in a game."


No comments:

Post a Comment