About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Details Of Homer Bailey's Contract Revealed







Homer Bailey is a rich man.

The Reds structured a unique contract to keep the 27-year old right-hander, who has authored two no-hitters, around until at least 2019 and also 2020, if both parties agree.

The Reds will pay Bailey $3 million during the 2014 season and $6 million after season-ticket money arrives in November.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Thereafter, the compensation is broken down to:

2015 $4 million - $6 million
2016 $11 million - $7 million
2017 $12 million - $7 million
2018 $14 million - $7 million
2019 $15 million - $8 million

The mutual option for 2020 is for $25 million with a $5 million buyout, according to an Associated Press report.

If he pitches for the Reds through 2020, he is will earn $120 million.  If the Reds do not pick up his option, he will be paid a total of $105 million.  There is no "no-trade" clause.  If Bailey is traded, the team he goes to must pay him the full amounts during the season.

The Reds felt it was important to keep a player that they drafted and developed.

"We came to agreement late yesterday afternoon when everything was finalized," Reds' general manager Walt Jocketty said.  "We are very excited about it and pleased.  It is important in our organization to reward players that have earned this type of respect, with a contract to keep them part of the organization for a long time.  He's worked hard.  He's overcome a lot of obstacles.  He has grown a lot since I've been here and matured into one of the best pitchers in the game today."

The Reds' young starting rotation is beginning to reach its prime and Bailey is a key part.

"Pitching is very import to this organization and our philosophy of winning with pitching and defense," Jocketty said.  "We feel Homer will anchor our organization for a number of years to come and help us win championships."

Bailey sees this core group of Reds' players winning in the future.

"I thank this man right here (Jocketty) and Mr. Castellini for putting faith in me," Bailey said.  "When you take a look across our organization, you see a lot of good things; our ownership group, our upper management, the coaching staff and this core group of players we have currently in Cincinnati and some coming up, show good signs of thing being good."

"I don't care how much money your making; winning and being competitive on the field says a lot about your happiness," Bailey said. "The way this organization is run day in and day out, says a lot and puts a lot of comfort for me."



Bailey began to think about his future early in the off-season.

"Once it was approached early in the off-season, it was a thinking process," Bailey said.  "The first thing I did when Bryan (Price) was announced manager, I called him.  I asked him, 'Where are we going?'  What are we trying to do here?  If it's a thing where we're sneaking into third place with a very talented team, I don't want to be a part of that. I want to be part of winning divisions, going deep in the playoffs, and being competitive every year.  Just talking with him, it seems that that's the goal of this organization."

There was thought that Bailey was not happy in Cincinnati.

"I have never seen where I was quoted saying that," Bailey said.  "It is what it is.  I've been traded four times already and I'm still in a Reds' uniform.  That's kind of the same thing."



Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120


No comments:

Post a Comment