About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Ryan Ludwick Ready For Middle Of The Order






Ryan Ludwick's head-first slide on Opening Day 2013 cost him an entire season at 100 percent efficiency.

The 35-year old played in just 38 games.

"I don't plan on sliding head-first anytime soon," Ludwick said.  "I feel great. I feel so good. Don't get me wrong, if I put my shoulder in the wrong position, my shoulder is a little cranky, but it's one of those positions that I don't get into.  If I was a pitcher and had to really crank, it would be a different story. With hitting mechanics, fielding, the shoulder doesn't bother me."

Ludwick feels stronger than he did when he came back late last season.

"I did my normal winter workout," Ludwick said.  "People don't realize that I couldn't do any bench presses, lat pulldowns, bicep or tricep work.  All I could do was strengthen my shoulder.  My shoulder was strong but the rest of my body was kind of weak."

Ludwick was missed last season for more than his run production.

"It was a pretty noticeable difference (in our offense) between 2012 and 2013.  We saw what we were missing when he was out," Reds' manager Bryan Price said.  "We missed him in the middle of the order that could help with run production.  There wasn't enough time for him to get back to mid-season form.  He brings a lot more than just run production.  He brings energy. He works hard on his defense.  He is a great teammate."

Sitting was tough on Ludwick too.

"There were times that I couldn't turn on the TV when they were on the road, because I couldn't be a part of it.  It made me sick to my stomach," Ludwick said.  "I knew my power wasn't going to be what it was going to be what it should when I got back.  There were balls that I really hit that just barely made the warning track.  Now, I feel I can mis-hit a ball and it will still go out."

Ludwick has always driven in runs and thinks that the injury may have positive consequences.

"I think it might have made me a better hitter.  We'll see.  We're going to find out.  You go with what you've got.  I finally really, really beared down in that playoff game.  I tried to stay short with my swing.  I had a pretty good game at the end.  Hopefully, it gave me a pretty good parachute for a two-strike approach.  Maybe I can make more contact."



Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120

No comments:

Post a Comment