About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Brandon Phillips On Trading Block






Brandon Phillips' days with the Reds are dwindling.

The Reds' front office is believed to be shopping the Reds' All-Star secondbaseman.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The Reds have a roster problem to solve.  Trading Phillips would free up money to resign Shin-Soo Choo.

Phillips is slated to earn $11 million dollars in 2014, $12 million in 2015, $13 million in 2016 and $14 million in 2017.

Phillips was outspoken about his dissatisfaction with the contract negotiations between his agent and Reds' CEO Bob Castellini.He called Castellini "a liar" in a published report by Cincinnati Magazine last summer.

“To this day, I’m still hurt. Well, I don’t wanna say hurt. I’ll say scarred. I’m still scarred. It just sucks that it happened. For [Castellini] to sign somebody for $200 million, there must be a new vegetable or fruit coming out that we don’t know about. For him to do something like that and tell me they didn’t have any more money, that’s a lie. But what can I do? I just feel like it was a slap in my face," Phillips told Cincinnati Magazine writer Jason Williams.

Given a chance to deny the story, Phillips stuck to it.

Castellini was also upset when Phillips interrupted then-manager Dusty Baker's pregame press conference, calling a reporter from the Cincinnati Enquirer a "fat motherfucker" in front of cameras.

Castellini received a letter from an anti-defamation group and had to issue an apology.

The Reds' owner was also heard instructing Baker to fine Phillips for a play on which Castellini felt Phillips did not give his full effort.

Cesar Izturis was the only player to fill in at secondbase.  The Reds' secondbasemen in Louisville were Henry Rodriguez, a September call-up and Emmanuel Burris, who made a bid for a roster spot in spring training as a non-roster invitee.

The is a very limited market for secondbasemen in Major League baseball.


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120


No comments:

Post a Comment