About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Drew Stubbs and Shin-Soo Choo Change Clubhouses






Drew Stubbs was used to parking in the garage and walking down a short flight of steps to enter the clubhouse at Great American Ball Park.  This time he got off a bus inside the ballpark and walked 100 yards down the hallway into the visiting clubhouse.

 "I'm not going to lie to you, it's strange looking across the field to the other dugout and see a lot of friends. Just being in the visiting clubhouse here is strange," Stubbs said.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

What hasn't changed is his view while on the field.

"I'm trying to treat it like another game," Stubbs said.

Shin-Soo Choo will have the same experience on Wednesday when the Reds/Indians series shifts to  Proggressive Field in Cleveland.

"There are a couple of days left," Choo said.  "I had a good experience, a good time in Cleveland. I spent six years there. I have a lot of friends even outside the ballpark."

The Reds and Indians share Goodyear Ballpark in Arizona for spring training so some of the awkwardness was relieved in February and March.

"I said hi in spring, It was really weird." Choo said.  "I will say hi again."

Both teams are playing good baseball.  They are both 1-1/2 games off the pace of the respective division leaders.  The trade has helped both teams and Stubbs in particular.  He was soundly booed the last two seasons in a Reds' uniform.

Stubbs is hitting .242 with three home runs and 15 RBI batting in the eighth spot on Monday without the designated hitter.

"Before I experienced it, guys told me that it would be best for my career," Stubbs said.  "I'm with a good bunch of guys and we're playing good baseball.  It is kind of refreshing to get a new start; to show new people what I can do. We've had fun playing together."

Choo has been sensational for Cincinnati, coming into the series with a .285 average, nine hone run and 19 RBI.  His on-base-percentage is .441.  Choo is setting up Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips to drive in runs.

"We have a lot of guys that can bat all over the lineup," Stubbs said.  "I batted lower in the lineup in 2010 when I had my best year in Cincinnat.  I will hit leadoff sometimes when Michael Bourn needs a day off."

The players still follow their old friends in the box scores and with texts and phone calls.

'I like to see what my friends are doing. I don't necessarily compare the trade," Stubbs said.

"I'm not a big text guy," Choo said. "I did text (Indians' catcher) Lou Marson when he was in a collision at home plate to see if he was alright."

The Reds reached out to Stubbs after the trade was completed.

"Dusty and a lot of other people called me and text me after the trade. I got a handwritten note from Bryan Price.  That meant a lot to me. They took the time to tell me they enjoyed working and playing with me."


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120


No comments:

Post a Comment