About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Don Lutz First German National To Make The Majors






Donald Lutz didn't play baseball until he was 16 years old.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/


His mother is from Germany and lived in Watertown, New York when Donald was born.  After spitting from Donald's father, she returned home to Friedberg, Germany when Donald was a year old.

Lutz grew up playing hockey in Germany.  His older brother, Sascha, played baseball, having been exposed to it while living in New York.  Sascha took Donald with him to practice one day.  They younger brother picked up the bat and was a natural with it.

Germany has a baseball academy in Regensburg to help develop players for the World Baseball Classic and other international competitions.  Lutz is among three players signed out of the academy but the first to reach the majors.

Max Kepler is in the Minnesota Twins' organization and Kai Gronauer is working his way through the New York Mets' system.

Lutz signed with the Reds in 2007 at age 18.  He was a non-drafted free agent.

"We have a friendly competition to see who would make it first," Lutz said.  "I heard from them as soon as I got the news that I was coming to the Reds."

Lutz got a message from Dirk Nowitzke, the star NBA player for the Dallas Mavericks.

"The other two were more impressed by that," Lutz said.

Lutz was 0-for-7 when he came to bat against the Chicago Cubs on Sunday.

He took a pitch down and in that hit off his ankle.  The umpire didn't see it and told Lutz to get back in the batter's box.  Two pitches later he ripped a single into rightfield for his first Major League hit.

The news has been spread around Germany.  Lutz is getting many new twitter followers.

"I'm happy to get the attention," Lutz said.  "I was happy to get the first hit.  The monkey is off my back.  I was trying hard to impress people.  I may have tried too hard."

Lutz likes the idea of being a beacon for kids in Germany to play baseball.

There have been dozens of Major League players born in Germany but most were born in the late 19th century and grew up in the states after they immigrated.  Some were born to American parents while stationed in Germany.


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120

No comments:

Post a Comment