About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Todd Redmond Gets His First Start For the Reds On Saturday

The Reds will have an interloper in it's starting rotation.  Todd Redmond obtained in a trade with Atlanta for Paul Janish will become the first starter outside of the current rotation to make a start this season.  The Reds will have gone 118 using just five starters, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, Mat Latos, Mike Leake and Homer Bailey.

The Reds and Cubs are making up a May rain out on Saturday.

Johnny Cueto will pitch the first game of the day/night doubleheader scheduled for 1:10.  Redmond will pitch the 7:10 game.

"Johnny Cueto has been very good in day games," Dusty Baker said.  "He is more likely to go deep in the game.  We have a rookie the second game, so we don't know what we're going to get.  We don't want to use our bullpen much in the first game.  That puts pressure on the pitching staff and we have a day game the next day."

This will be Redmond's fourth trip to the big leagues but will be his debut.  He was recalled from Triple A while with the Braves but didn't pitch.  The Reds called him up twice, once for insurance for Cueto's blister.  The other time was as an extra pitcher the day Joey Votto was disabled.

"I'm excited its a dream come true," said Redmond, whose parents are arriving at 5:30 Friday from St. Petersburg, Florida.

The rookie who has a 8-9 record in 22 starts.  He has a 3.54 ERA in 134-2/3 innings with 125 strikeouts and 34 walks.

Although it will be his debut and he will be sitting through the first game of the doubleheader, Redmond doesn't think nerves will get the best of him.

"I've gotten hot (warmed up) once since up here," Redmond said.  "I'm going to try to treat this like any other start.  I'm not going to change the way I pitch because I'm up here."

Baker and pitching coach Bryan Price have held talks with the 27-year old righthander.

"We're at the mercy of whoever had him before," Baker said.  "We have to watch him.  We have to learn at what pitch count does he start to get the ball up.  Can he hold baserunners? Can he bunt? Can he slug bunt?"

The Reds had team picture day this afternoon.

"I'm glad for him (Redmond)," Baker said.  "He asked me if he should get in the team picture.  I told him you're on the team.  I don't know how long you'll be here but you're on the team.  This is a performance business. If you do well, there's a chance you could stay here."

Redmond worked with Colerain High School graduate, Roger McDowell, with the Braves.

"He's a good guy and a great pitching coach," Redmond said.








No comments:

Post a Comment