About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Downtown Goes Frazier ROY?

Still in the first game of a day/night double header, Rookie of the Year Candidate Todd Frazier continues to tear up the league.

His five-game hitting streak was snapped on Thursday night. In the first two games of the Reds' series against the Chicago Cubs, he rekindled his hot streak..

Frazier has hit safely in eight of the last nine games, with seven multi-hit games, including today.  He singled and scored on Xavier Paul's first home run of the season in the first inning.  He hit his 17th home run to open the fourth inning against Jeff Samardzjia.

Frazier is hitting .291 through two at bats.

One former major league general manager said, "Frazier has outperformed (Bryce) Harper."  Even though Harper has the benefit of advanced publicity.

Does he think about the Rookie of the Year award?

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't look at it but at the same time, I don't think about it all the time," Frazier said earlier this week.  "I don't watch what everybody else does (eg Bryce Harper).  I am here trying to help get some wins.  I learned early that those things will take care of themselves."

He apparently listens when manager Dusty Baker speaks.

Baker was asked independently about Frazier as Rookie of the Year and Johnny Cueto or Aroldis Chapman for Cy Young.

"I think about those awards and tell my guys to go for them.  When a team wins those awards usually follow," Baker said.

One could make a case for Frazier as an MVP too considering he has been asked to play two positions on a regular basis.  He has played a lot of thirdbase, his favorite, and has filled in nicely for Joey Votto.  Yet his best position according to Baker is leftfield.

Since Votto has been on the disabled list, Frazier is hitting .318 with five home runs and 19 RBI in 22 starts at firstbase.

Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proofreading services
Call 513-240-3120





No comments:

Post a Comment