About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Reds Call Xavier Paul Send Todd Redmond Back to Louisville

The Reds recall of Todd Redmond turned to be unnecessary as Johnny Cueto pitched six shutout innings on Tuesday.  For the second time this season Redmond was called to the Major Leagues but did not appear in a game.

The Reds signed Xavier Paul to a minor league contract last week and the injury to Joey Votto created a need for a lefthanded hitter.  Paul hits from the left side.

Paul, 27, spent parts of three seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers and most of 2011 with the Pittsburgh Pirates.  He went to spring training with the Washington Nationals as a non-roster player but was sent to Syarcuse where he hit .315 in 60 games with eight home runs and 44 RBI.  He also stole six bases.

"I liked him when he was with the Pirates.  He is a good pinch hitter against righthanded pitching.  He can play all three outfield positions.  He gives us the much needed lefthanded bat off the bench and he has speed," Dusty Baker said.  "I heard about him a few years ago from Gene Clines, who was one of my batting coaches for many years.  He had him (Paul) in the minors with the Dodgers.  I trust Geno's judgement.  I saw what he did against us especially off the bench.  I was quite surprised he wasn't back with the Pirates.  I don't know what happened but he did a good job with them."

Paul hit .480 in six games with the Bats with one home run and four RBI.


“It feels great to be here. I wanted it to happen. I’m elated. I was praying that they would call my name. I’m happy it happened. It’s just unfortunate that it took Joey getting hurt,” Paul said.



Paul left the Nationals on his own.

“I had an out with the Nationals, and I chose to take my chances with another club. The Nationals were great to me. They have a great bunch of guys, and they could win it. It’s just that I needed a change. It worked out.”

With the Nationals and the Reds Paul has now been with two first-place teams.

“Yeah, how about that? I just hope to do my part. As long as we’re winning, I don’t mind being the lefty off the bench. That’s been my role before, and I’ll try to show that I can do that here.”


No comments:

Post a Comment