About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Brett Tomko Could Help a Staff That Needs No Help

The Reds pitching staff is rolling along.  As my good friend John Fay pointed out in the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds' young starting staff are all on the way to setting career highs for innings pitched.  They haven't missed a start.

Then Bronson Arroyo fights off the Denver thin air that flattens out his breaking pitches to even his record at 6-6.  He finally gets rewarded with a 'W' and has such a rapport with Dusty Baker that he can tell his boss when he has had enough.  What a great lesson from a veteran to the young staff.  Like Kenny Rogers said, "You've got to know when to hold em  and know when to fold em."

In Louisville Wednesday, another veteran is overcoming adversity and may just be able to help the Reds' down the stretch during November.

Brett Tomko warms up for Wednesday start
Brett Tomko signed the day before spring training to possibly add depth to the Reds' young staff.  He was honest with the team and told them that he was willing to go to Louisville and wait until he is needed.

"The time I signed here, I told them I was willing to go to Triple A. I knew I was an insurance policy but I went into spring training, trying to make the team.  Every start down here, that's the mission is to make it back to Cincinnati."

Not only has he hadn't been needed but he continues to fight through adversity to try to help the Reds' win.  The Reds' former top draft pick would like nothing better than to be at least a small part of a magical Reds' season.

"It would be a special thing for me to get back up, knowing its later on in my career.  You never know how long you're going to play.  If there is a chance to be called up at any point in the season, to me it would be a really big deal."

Bell would not bet against Tomko helping the Reds at some point if and when he is needed.

"He is determined.  There is no reason it can't happen based on his experience. He has a great arm. We've talked about it several times, he's a better pitcher now," Bell said.

Tomko was out of action for nearly two seasons before getting a brief look at the big league level with AL Champion, Texas last season. 

Tomko pitched much better than his 0-6 record until he was injured again on May 30.  His spikes caught on the minor league mound and caused injury to his right bicep and shoulder.

The competitor in him didn't let him give up.  He started for Louisville on Wednesday.  Tomko retired the first two hitters then gave up a couple walks and a couple hits, a botched defensive play in the outfield made it look worse.  The Buffalo Bison's scored three runs.  Tomko stayed in for two more scoreless innings.

"I thought he threw the ball well.  I really did," said former teammate and Louisville Bat's manager, David Bell.  "Unfortunately, he threw too many pitches in that first inning and the second inning.  He threw about 30 in the second inning after throwing close to 40 in the first inning. The first time back that was too many pitches."

The outing was a big step though.

"It was a big step for him getting out there; feeling he can compete," Bell said.

Tomko is working hard in less glamorous surroundings and still believes in himself.

'I feel pretty good actually.  It was a long couple months back," Tomko said after the game.  "It felt good to be out there.  There is a little rust to shake off.  The velocity and all that stuff was there.  It is just a matter of fine tuning a little bit."

Fortunately, the Reds did not need him during his time off.  His injury didn't keep him away.  There was no missed opportunity to deal with.

"Before I got hurt, I was throwing the ball as well as I have in my career for the first couple months. When I got hurt I thought it might be the end of my career.  When you get hurt you're thinking aw that could have been my opportunity but they've all been pitching really well."

The Bats rallied and ended up winning the game, 4-3 on Didi Gregorius walk off home run.


No comments:

Post a Comment