About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Bailley Brilliant in First Ever Win Over Brewers

Homer Bailey had never beaten the Brewers.  He had already lost to them twice this season.

“Really? I’m glad you didn’t tell me that before the game," Dusty Baker said. "He was dealing. He was locating his fastball and he had life on his slider. It was hard to pick up."

The closest he came to beating them was October 2, 2010.  He allowed just one run in five innings and struck out 10 , walked three. The bullpen blew that game for him in a 7-4 loss.

This time he also struck out 10 but lasted eight innings because he got a lot of quick outs.  He walked no one  in the 3-1 win that put the Reds a season-high 13 games over the .500 mark.

"My fastball was working.  I didn't have the best velocity but we were keeping the ball down," Bailey said.  "I did have a good slider today.  I rarely try to get strike outs early in the game.  There are certain situations where you try to get strikeouts, when the situation calls for it.  There are times when you don't want a strikeout.  You want a ground ball early in the count."

Bailey has now won four starts in a row, beating first-place Los Angeles, then San Diego, followed by division rivals St. Louis and now Milwaukee.  It is the first time in his career, he's won four straight starts.

"It means that we're winning," Bailey said.  "I've said this 100 times.  I want the win.  If Marshall picks up the win, I don't care.  If Chapman gets the win, I don't care.  It's about the club winning.  When I take the mound, I don't go for wins for myself.  I don't feel I can do that every time out.  I never get too overconfident. I'm getting better at doing what I need to do to get ready.  Right now, it's leading to success."

The Reds are now 3-2 without Joey Votto.  Two struggling young stars were able to produce in the tight game and a struggling veteran was also productive.

Zack Cozart had one hit since the All-Star break. He was 1-for21.  Dusty Baker gave Cozart the day off on Thursday.


"It feels good I've been struggling. I had one hit since the break."

"The home run felt really good," Cozart said.  "I thought it was a double, then I saw Braun looking up and the umpire signal it was out."

"Homer was peppering the strike zone, Cozart said.  "I was busy.  I love that.  It (playing defense) is one of my favorite things.  Homer had good tempo.  He was working quick. Even before Joey went out we were doing it with pitching and defense"

"I don't know if it was the rest or not but I felt good today.  I had a good workout yesterday.  It was more of a mental break than anything.  Just a day to not think about baseball."

Jay Bruce was struggling as in zero hits in his last 19 at bats.  He broke the slump with a ringing double into the right field corner in the fourth inning.  He launched a Marco Estrada pitch 432 ft. from the plate and they could have shown the movie Exodus on that flight with enough time for cartoons in his next at bat in the seventh.

"You can see he's not happy," Dusty Baker said before the game.  "I can see it in his face.  Sometimes it is a bloop or a little ground ball that finds a hole that gets you started."

Bruce had bigger things in store.

"That was a great, great win for us. It was nip-and-tuck there for a while. Those two home runs were huge. Man, Scottie was running around like a little kid out there today, ” Baker said.

Rolen hit a ball in the left center gap.  When Ryan Braun was too slow getting to it he hustled it into a double.  He went to third on a short wild pitch but was thrown out at home on a short fly to left by Devin Mesoraco.

It was a good risk with the pitcher Bailey due up with two outs.

He hit his fourth home run to put the Reds up 3-0 one out after Bruce's blast.

“It felt good to finally get my uniform dirty. It’s hard to steal first base. I liked running around like my hair was on fire,” Rolen said.

Then there was the home run trot that allowed his hair to be flame retardant.

"“I’ll take that, too," Rolen said. "It’s easier on the body. I felt pretty good out there. I think I’ve been swinging the bat better lately. Homer pitched great tonight. That’s where it always starts for me.”

The lone run off Bailey came in the eighth Martin Maldonado hit a short single to right when Bruce just missed making a sliding catch. Light hitting Norichika Aoki hit a line drive over Ryan Ludwick's head in left to spoil the shutout.

Then the fire that eluded Rolen's hair appeared in the fastball of Aroldis Chapman.  He struck out Braun, who had no chance.  He struck out Ramirez, who had little chance.  Corey Hart saved face by getting his bat on a 3-2 pitch that dribbled to Brandon Phillips at secondbase.

Chapman earned his 16th save.  He's converted his last eight opportunities.  The "Cuban Missle" has fanned 25 of the last 31 recorded outs.  He has struck out at least two batters in 10 of his last 11 appearances.

"Where would we be without him in the closer's role?" Baker asked.



No comments:

Post a Comment