About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Umpire Jerry Layne Injured by Broken Bat

Devin Mesoraco grounded out to the shortstop, Brian Dozier, but the barrel end of his bat broke off and hit home plate umpire Jerry Layne in the side of his face in the bottom half of the fourth inning.

"Jerry was hit with the bad end of the bat," Director of Umpires for Major League Baseball, Randy Marsh said.

Layne did not lose consciousness and was examined by the Reds' Medical Director, Dr. Timothy Kremchek.

"Dr. Kremchek didn't think he was concussed," Marsh said.  "We are taking him to Good Samaritan Hospital for an MRI to make sure there is no damage to the orbital bone.

More umpires are wearing a "hockey" style mask that protects more of the face but some umpires still wear the traditional mask that Layne used.

"I tried to use the new mask," Marsh said.  "But I couldn't get used to it.  I guess I was old school."

Layne is the crew chief with 23 years of experience.  Layne is a native of Kentucky but graduated from Elgin High School in Marion, Ohio.

 Veteran umpire Bod Davidson took over behind the plate and the umpires will use the three-man rotation system for the rest of the game.

There is a pool of substitute umpires from which a replacement will be brought in for as long as necessary.

"We have umpires that we take to spring training with us.  Some of them have 300 games at the major league level," Marsh said.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment