About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ozzie Guillen Do We Want Honesty or Not

There is one thing you can say about Ozzie Guillen that I wish I could say about everyone, including my self.
The man is totally honest. 


You may not agree with what he has to say but you can believe what he says.  To me that is more important.  


Yes the Cuban American's that populate the Miami area, have a grudge against the Castro regime.  I understand that completely.  Many of them suffered at the hands of that regime and I understand that there was a lot of loss and pain.  Yet they came to the United States to live free.  To be able to speak their mind without sanctions much less punishment from the government.


So how in good conscience can they deny Ozzie Guillen that same right.


“What this disrespectful comment did was rub salt on a very live wound,” said Mauricio Claver-Carone, a Cuban-American attorney and human rights advocate in Washington. “It’s not even a historic wound. It’s a live wound of a community composed of victims of the dictatorship.”


What kind of shyster lawyer claims to be a human rights advocate then stoops to this level of intolerance for free speech?  To me Claver-Carone presents the biggest threat to the Cuban community.  Yes there are wounds but folks its time to get them heal and move on.  Lingering hate is counter productive.  Period.


Having talked to Guillen several times over the years, there are a couple things to consider.  First all though his English is very good, there are times that he mixed metaphors.  The English language is complicated and doesn't always translate.  Secondly, Guillen is opinionated but not malicious and thank God is not politically correct.


He is inquisitive and when he does not know something will not hesitate to ask.


Do I question the sentiments expressed? Yes but I for one will fight for Guillen's right to speak his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment