About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Votto and Philips Win Gold Gloves

The right side of the Cincinnati Reds infield was recognized as the toughest to penetrate in the National League.

Joey Votto won the Rawlings Gold Glove at firstbase.  It was his first.  His teammate, Brandon Phillips, won the award as secondbaseman for the third time.

The Reds picked up the 2012 option on Phillips contract on Monday.

Votto was a raw talent when the Reds made him a second round pick in 2002 out of Toronto, Canada.

Votto was so raw when he was signed that the Reds infield instructors drew a line in the dirt to keep him from straying too far off firstbase for ground balls to the right side.  Phillips' range cut into that distance even further.

Votto made the following statement:


I'd like to thank the managers and coaches who selected me. It always means a tremendous amount to be selected by your superiors for any award, especially for one of this magnitude. I'd also like to thank the Reds’ coaching staff for their help, with a special mention to bench coach Chris Speier.

“My infield teammates were an inspiration to me, and both Brandon Phillips and Scott Rolen are two players I strive to emulate and keep up with defensively. This award, of all awards I've won in the past, has special meaning to me. When I first started playing professional baseball I was without a position. For my first half season in the minor leagues, I was essentially a professional DH. To have come this far through hard work, perseverance and the willingness to learn is something I will always be proud of. Defense is a part of the game that can always be improved upon, and to have come as far as I have, I am an example of that.

“Special thanks to Reds minor league coordinator Freddy Benavides, who has been a persistent and humbling supporter of mine. Thank you also to Ryan Jackson, who works with me every off-season.”

No comments:

Post a Comment