About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Joe Frazier Passes Away at 67

Joe Frazier went down for the ultimate count on Monday night at the age of 67 following a bout with liver cancer.

He was a great fighter, who had the misfortune to be a contemporary of Cassius Clay/Mohamed Ali, yet went about his business like a true professional.

Frazier's powerful left hook across the "Louisville Lips" of Ali, defeated Ali in what was known as the "Fight of the Century" at Madison Square Garden on March 8, 1971.

Ali called Frazier an "Uncle Tom" a racial slur that hurt Frazier more than any punch that he endured.

Frazier is a native of Beaufort, South Carolina but lived in Philadelphia most of his life, a city that has a statue of a fictitious fighter.

He was one of my favorite fighters before I gave up watching boxing.  I couldn't get myself to watch the sport after watching the Ray Mancini/Duk Koo Kim fight in which the latter fighter lost his life.

He fought Ali twice more after his victory in Madison Square Garden but lost both of them.  Frazier retired and helped the youth of Philadelphia by teaching them the art of self defense.  He finished his career at 32-4 in 1976 after a pair of losses to George Foreman, who knocked out Frazier twice.  Foreman was the only man to knock Frazier out until cancer knocked him out on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment