About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Alonso, Francisco in the Lineup Mesoraco to be Eased In

Yonder Alonso will start in left field for the Reds against the Phillies on Thursday.  Juan Francisco will play thirdbase.

Alonso had one game at thirdbase.  Just by watching him take ground balls, he doesn't have the range necessary to be a big league firstbaseman.  No matter how hard he works at it.  His bat is major league quality but that is only one facet of the game.  Defense is very important to winning, but it doesn't lend itself to statistical analysis like hitting.  It tends to get overlooked by fans.

Francisco has a quick bat, can hit with power and has the skills to be an adequate thirdbaseman.  Francisco had some bad luck with injuries and the timing of those injuries.  His last injury was a strained knee. Francisco was sent to Arizona to rehab it.

"Since, he's come back from the injury, he's played his best baseball, hitting, defensively and baserunning," said Louisville manager, Rick Sweet two weeks ago.

Mesoraco had conversations with Sweet over the last couple of weeks, so he knew he would probably be brought to the majors this soon.

"It seems like a long time coming," Mesoraco said.  "It was the pace I was hoping for.  It is about where I wanted to be.  I was lucky to have Sweet and Corky Miller around.  They have been in the game a long time.  Every situation that I had, they've been through."

Mesoraco won't start for a few days.

"He will catch some bullpen sessions," Dusty Baker said.  "I was a September call up three times.  I know what he's going through.  We want to make sure he knows the signs.  He has to get comfortable with our scouting reports, pay attention and learn to make scouting reports in his own mind."




No comments:

Post a Comment