About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Davey Johnson Says Larkin is the Best Player He Managed

Davey Johnson has had a lot of success as a Major League manager.  He managed the World Series Champion New York Mets in 1986 which featured Colerain graduate, Roger McDowell out of the bullpen.

He was the Reds manager during Larkin's MVP season in 1995.

"I've had some great players," Johnson said. "People ask me who is the best player you managed.  It was always Larkin.  It always came down to him.  He could hit 1,2,3.  He would take any role.  He led by example.  He was a manager's dream."

The Reds had the best record in the National League, 66-48 when the players strike cancelled the season on August 12.  The Reds won the Central Division by nine games.

"I was told Barry got hurt a lot," Johnson said.  "I had to get on him one day in Chicago.  It was 120 degrees and he was stealing bases.  I told him to take it easy, the last time I checked we were eight games ahead."

"We had fun that year we just couldn't get past Atlanta," Johnson said.  "We had guys get on but Reggie (Sanders) and Ron Gant couldn't hit (Greg) Maddux or (Tom) Glavine.  People asked me why I didn't drop them to seventh or eighth in the order.  I always asked, 'If you take a pretty girl to the dance do you quit dancing with her because she's sick?' "

  

No comments:

Post a Comment