About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Dontrelle Willis A Proud Graduate of TPU

Dontrelle Willis was seemingly washed up at 29.  I looked like he would be one of those flashes of brilliance that quickly flamed out in baseball.

A Detroit Tiger scout told Dusty Baker as he was observing young talent in the Arizona Fall League that the pitcher known as the D-Train still had the arm, the stuff, he just needed for someone to believe in him.

Willis had two horrible years but based on the advisor's trusted opinion and maybe the fact that Baker's wife went to school with Willis' mother and aunt, Baker urged the Reds to give the lefthander a chance.

Reds pitching coach Bryan Price worked with Willis this winter since the both live close together in the Phoenix area.

Willis nearly made the Reds out of spring training but minor injuries set him back and that may have been the luckiest break that the 29-year old ever had.

In Louisville with the Bats, Willis worked closely with former Reds pitcher Ted Power.

"This game is for all the people who believed in me," Willis said after the Reds bested the Braves.  Willis didn't even get the win as the starting pitcher but that point was mute.  He knew that he was all the way back to pitching effectively at the highest level. He will take nothing for granted from now on.

"I got to work with Ted Power.  Teddy Power is a guru.  I definitely owe a lot to a lot of people.  They gave me a chance. I like that we're battling every day.  I went to TPU,  Ted Power University.  I have him right here with me," Willis said as he turned around and rooted through his locker.  He came out with a Ted Power baseball card to show to the writers standing at his locker.

"I keep this with me to remind me of all the hard work he put into me," Willis said.

   Search Amazon.com for lonnie wheeler

No comments:

Post a Comment