About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Breaking News The Cardinals and Reds Don't Like Each Other

Finger pointing and shouting followed the Reds sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals which took on a new dimension last August when Brandon Phillips put the WLB label on St. Louis.


Whiny Little Bitches.


The game was tense and one can only wonder what it would have been like had Tony La Russa not missed the series with shingles.


Francisco Cordero hit Albert Pujols, who represented the tying run with an 0-2 pitch. Bringing the major league's leading hitter, Matt Holliday, to the plate as the winning run.  Oh yeah Lance Berkman, who is new to this rivalry but has feasted on Reds pitching for over a decade, due to bat after him.


Cordero came up and in, hitting Pujols on the wrist.  Instead of heading to the showers, everyone was rushing to battle stations as if the alarm sounded on destroyer at sea.


Berkman is new to this particular rivalry but discovered what it meant.


"The teams don't like each other," Berkman said.  "It's good competition and with the history, it's part of the deal."


The Reds have long ago tired of getting beaten by the Cardinals and have been fed up by the gamesmanship of it's absent leader, La Russa.


Acting manager Joe Pettini explained, "One of our top players was hit with a pitch.  A lot of guys took offense to it, made some comments, yelled at some people.  That's the way baseball goes.  We don't like when someone like Albert's been hit, especially in that situation.  You pitch inside, you better have a clue when you come inside.  They took offense and we took offense.  The soap opera continues.  It's always something when you come in here."


"We are going to need someone like Albert in the long haul," Pettini said.


Cordero and backup catcher Gerald Laird played together three years with Texas.


Laird started yelling after it happened and continued after Berkman struck out, ending the game.


"It was just a little fun after the game," Cordero said of the shouting match.  "I have nothing against the Cardinals  I've been in this game long enough to know not to disrespect someone.  Gerald Laird was yelling, a catcher who didn't even play.  I was not trying to hit him.  I'm trying to get outs.  They don't pay me to hit people.  They pay me to get outs.  I don't want to hit him with an 0-2 pitch with Holliday and Berkman coming up."


Still Cordero and the winning pitcher from Saturday, Johnny Cueto were yelling into the Cardinals dugout.  By then several people were yelling at the same time that nobody knew what was actually said.


Laird played in Detroit last year and new to the rivalry.


"It's two good teams.  There are a lot of competitors on both teams.  I can see it (rivalry) now.  You've got two good ballclubs that play hard and both want to win.  There's only one division winner.  It's going to be a battle all year."


Then why yell?


"We know balls get away.  He (Pujols) is one of the big bats in our lineup. When you go up in that area, it's a major area.  He's our teammate.  We're going to back him. I caught Cordero in Texas.  I think it's just the heat of the moment. He's on their side.  I'm on this side."


The accusation of intent were muted but implied, except for the two that were involved.  One claimed innocent.  The other refused to accuse.


"Pujols was just sitting down, saying nothing," Cordero said.


"I am in a little pain right now.  It was a little scary when a guy throws 95 and throws at your face," Pujols said.  "I'm sure Francisco wasn't trying to do it on purpose.  Not with Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman coming up.  Nobody is swinging the bat better than Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman.  I will take my chances with them any day.  He doesn't want to face them."

Pujols is uncertain about his immediate playing future.

I can't tell you if I'll play tomorrow.  I'm not a doctor.  I will see how it feels tomorrow.  I think it will take more than that to keep me out."

Appropriately, St. Louis comes back to Cincinnati for the fireworks of the Fourth of July.

Cincinnati will play hostile hosts July 4,5,6

No comments:

Post a Comment