About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kirk Gibson A Fierce Competitor and A Sparky Anderson Protege






There is no nonsense with Kirk Gibson, the Arizona Diamondback's manager.  Everything he does is focused.  He is the epitome of the blue collar work ethic.

Last spring in Goodyear, Arizona, I was in the manager's office at Goodyear Ballpark with several others for the pre-game meeting every manager holds with the press.  At the assigned time, the writers walked in to find Gibson engrossed in a hockey game.  His son was playing hockey in frigid Flint, Michigan and Gibson had it on his laptop streaming live.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
One writer asked him, "That a tough place to be right now, isn't it?"

Gibson glared at him, ignoring the fact that Flint was some 60 degrees colder that day than the weather we enjoyed in Arizona.

"What's so tough about it? I used to work there man," Gibson said, calmly but sternly.  "Did you live there?" the writer asked.

"I worked there.  I worked at auto plant in the summer when I was still in college," Gibson said.  Gibson was a gifted athlete.  He played baseball at Michigan State in nearby East Lansing but also was a standout wide receiver for the Spartans.  I lived in Toledo then and saw a lot of Big 10 football.  I remember him making tough catch after tough catch.

Yet unlike most pampered college athletes, Gibson made time to work in a factory.

Goodyear Ballpark had Anderson's number 10 on the field to honor the Hall of Fame manager who guided the Reds and Gibson's team, the Detroit Tigers to World Championships.

The subject turned to two members of his team, the blue collar, grind it out competitor that was Gibson before injuries ended his playing days, and  Ryan Roberts, a 30-year old former 18th round draft choice of the Toronto Blue Jays. Roberts is the Diamondbacks everyday thirdbaseman after splitting parts of five seasons, including last year in the minor leagues.  He also talked about Willie Bloomquist, who helped the Reds down the stretch last season.

"If  there were two guys that stood out, going balls out, its those two guys.  Just the way the go about their business, great grit and determination. I'd like to see our team be more like that," Gibson said.  "I will say this in fairness.  You really can't be like that all the time for 162 games.  Sparky Anderson used to teach me, 'big boy, you're never going to make it.  There's times to be that way.  And there's times when you try to be just more efficient.'  Both those two guys lay it all out. I appreciate it."

Sparky Anderson taught Gibson a lot.

"Sparky taught me the game, period," Gibson said.  "He taught me how to play the game right.  He taught me how to be a professional. He taught me to appreciate that it was an honor to wear the uniform.  He taught me to stick up for the game.  He taught us all that.  The guys that were with him for a long time. The guys that were with him for a long time, all understand it. All of them."

 Gibson still walks with the limp that is seen on highlights of the 1988 World Series.  Gibson hit one of most dramatic home runs in World Series history. He beat Dennis Eckersly and the Oakland Athletics to set the tone for the unlikely sweep with a pinch hit home run when he was so badly hurt that he could barely walk.














Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120

No comments:

Post a Comment