About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Baker Wonders What to do With Chapman Reds Need LeCure

Dusty Baker is was hoping that Aroldis Chapman could fill the bullpen void left by Arthur Rhodes.

"And people wanted him to be the closer," Baker said.  "A closer has to go three, four, sometimes five games in a row.  We can't afford to give him four days off.  I was hoping he could step in.  He hasn't been acclimated."

Wood's short stop threatened to burn an already tired bullpen.

"You can't keep going to the bullpen in the third or fourth inning," Baker said.  "That's how long losing streaks get started.  We need young Sam (LeCure) tomorrow.  Maloney saved us again.  That's why we couldn't go to Maloney yesterday."

There was nothing wrong with Wood but the Pirates put together good at bats and wore him down.

"He threw 40 some pitches in the first inning.  That's like three innings.  The Pirates wore him down by fouling off a lot of pitches," Baker said.

Wood agreed.

"They fouled off some good pitches and they hit some good pitches," Wood said.

With four days rest Chapman was his flame throwing self with one pitch registering 106 on the Great American Ball Park scoreboard in his 1-2-3 inning.

"I feel good.  I don't think my speed went away," Chapman said through interpreter, Tomas Vera. "My arm felt good."

Chapman's license plate reads 105mph.

So, I asked,  "Do you have to change your license plate?"

"I already have one with 106," Chapman said.

No comments:

Post a Comment