About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Votto Rides Emotional Roller Coaster to MVP

Joey Votto's life turned upside down late in the 2008 season when his father, Joseph, passed away at the age of 52.

It hit Votto hard but he pushed it aside and played out the rest of the season.

Baseball has always been Votto's escape.

"I concentrate every day on how I can work harder and improve that day to see what comes out of it.  I was never a trouble maker but even at a young age, I would concentrate on something I loved to do to stay out of trouble," Votto said after winning the National League Most Valuable Player award on Monday.

Votto is polite and cordial but introverted.  He does not like attention but he also has a competitive drive that pushes him to be the best.

The Baseball Writers Association of America recognized him as the best player in the National League in 2010.


"I will need a little more time to put things into perspective," Votto said.  "I couldn't help but cry for what it meant to me and what it would have meant to my father.  I have overcome a lot and I'm very proud of myself."



Votto had a good year in 2009 but missed a lot of time.  He was alone at his home in Sarasota, Florida during the winter following his father's death.  The emotions that he set aside during the season caught up with him.  He was able to push the emotions aside but when he missed a couple of game with an ear infection in early 2009, it gave him time to think.  The loss of his father hit him hard.


The combination or illness and the delayed feelings of grief caught up with Votto.  He went on the disabled list because he felt like he was going to die.

I can remember Dusty Baker, who is as open as a man can be, pleading with the media to respect Votto's privacy.

"I had a really really difficult time getting over the death of my father.  It was a difficult 2009 and a much less difficult 2010 and that made a big difference," Votto said.


The desire for anonymity and the missed time that put a drag on Votto's 2009 numbers, kept the 27-year old Canadian out of the national consciousness.

He was not chosen for the All-Star time by the fan voting or by Charlie Manual in spite of being among the league's leaders in home runs, RBI and batting average.

MLB.com held an online Votto.  That vote put Votto on the squad.

"Sometimes attention happens very quickly.  I went to the all star game by being voted on by the fans.  Then I went to the all-star game and saw A-Rod and Jeter and thought about being with those players."

During the season Votto never discussed personal goals and possible awards.

"I never read the papers or look at stats during the season," Votto said.  "But after the season I read some of the things you guys wrote and looked at the stats.  It was a toss up.  I looked closer at the stats and said, 'holy cow'. Albert (Pujols) beat me in a lot of stats but I beat him in some qualitative stats.  It was a toss up.  It was very close.  Most importantly we won and went to the playoffs.  It was pretty freaking awesome to beat Albert Pujols for the MVP."

"Albert is probably the only great guy.  I don't throw that word around.  Carlos Gonzalez and I are learning to be great," Votto said.

Pujols offered the younger, by three whole years, Votto advice.

Pujols encouraged the introverted Votto to talk around the batting cage.  The talk wasn't always about baseball.


"Pujols helped me first of all, there is something about a star pulling me in and saying its ok to talk about things.  For him to talk to me about things was very generous and awfully nice of him."





No comments:

Post a Comment