About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, August 27, 2010

New Leadoff Hitter Powers the Reds 7-1 Over Cubs

Brandon Phillips has thrived batting leadoff for the Reds since Dusty Baker put him there when Orlando Cabrera began struggling.

But Phillips took a pitch off the hands on Wednesday in San Francisco.  X-rays were negative but his hand is swollen.  Chris Valaika, who was summoned from Louisville while the Reds were in San Francisco, got the start at secondbase but with lefthander, Tom Gorzelanny starting the righthanded hitting Valaika was NOT the leadoff hitter.

The curious choice, Jay Allen Bruce, a lefhanded hitter, known for not hitting lefthanded pitching.  Why?

The second guessers on many the chat rooms blistered Baker for the decision.

For the record, Bruce started the game hitting .275 against righthanders and .241 against lefties.

But Baker pointed out that Cubs starter, Tom Gorzelanny, has more trouble with righthanded batters than lefthanders.  Righthanders bat .241 against the Cubs southpaw, while lefties hit him at a .295 clip.

Baker beats second guessers yet again.

Bruce hit three home runs.  He drove in five runs, both are career highs.  All of the long balls were off lefties, two off Gorzellanny and one off Scott Maine.  Valaika also belted his first career home run.

"I haven't had the season that I wanted to have," Bruce said.  "My power numbers were down.  My teammates have been picking me up all year.  It's a process.  I'm going to continue to get better.  I plan on being a good hitter and I'm on my way there."

The pennant race is more important to Bruce than his numbers but he was happy that all three bolts were struck against lefthanders.

"I haven't been playing against lefties all the time.  I'm really, really, really determined to prove to everyone that I can play against lefties everyday because I want to be an everyday contributer in the big leagues.  I haven't earned that.  I getting better.  This is not about me.  It is about the team."

"That shows me that he's staying in against lefties," Baker said.  "It (the move to put Bruce in the leadoff spot) worked today.  I just thought he was the best option today.  Thanks to Jay, it worked and Valaika, and Cueto."

Johnny Cueto's last outing, the first off his seven game suspension  He lasted only three innings against the Dodgers on Saturday, giving up five runs.

"Johnny was dealing.  He was spotting his fastball.  He improved to 12-4 and lowered his ERA (from 3.62 to 3.49).  He should have had a shutout.  He overthrew to one hitter, (Tyler Colvin) and he hit a double to get their run in."

"I felt too strong after the suspension.  I was overthrowing.  We worked on my mechanics in the bullpen this week.  This was one of my better starts.  I had good rhythm and was throwing everything Ramon (Hernandez) called," Cueto said through Juan Lopez his interpreter.

Valaika had to follow Bruce's act.  In less than a week.  He had gone from Louisville to San Francisco where he hit a single in his first at bat.  In his first start tonight he doubled in the first inning following Bruce's leadoff walk.  He hit his first career home run following Bruce's second blast.

"Valaika can hit and he knows he can hit," Baker said.

"This whole day was awesome.  I got to start and contribute a little bit," Valaika said.  "I got the ball that was pretty special.  I got my first hit and my first home run."

This was a moment he has worked for his entire life.

"I've envisioned this my whole life.  Growing up wanting to be a big leaguer and getting that first hit.  It's everything that you dream about.  It's amazing.  I'm kind of speechless."

Bruce hit three home games one other time in his 23-year old his 23-year old life.

"I was in Little League.  I hit two in a night game but it got too late and the game was suspended.  Then I hit another one the next day.  So I hit three in a game but not in the same day."

No comments:

Post a Comment