About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Long Tall Texan Rides to Town

Sam LeCure got the call last night at around 7:30.  The Reds fourth round pick in 2005 (the year fellow Texan Jay Bruce was the top pick), answered the phone.  It was Louisville manager Rick Sweet.

"You know we're in last place," Sweet said.  "Tomorrow you'll be playing for a new manager.  I thought I'd be the one to let you know."

"Did you get fired," LeCure asked.

"No you're going to be pitching for Dusty Baker," Sweet replied.

With that the phoning and texted commenced.

"I have seven siblings," LeCure said.  "And a bunch aunts and uncles.  It was one time I wished I was from a small family."

He got a good night sleep and is happy to be here.  He will pitch against the Houston Astros tomorrow (Friday).

When the Reds put Homer Bailey on the disabled list Monday and recalled Enerio Del Rosario, it was common knowledge among the Louisville pitching staff that one of them was riding into Cincinnati, like the cavalry.

The Reds had a choice of LeCure, a righthander and lefties, Matt Maloney and  Travis Wood.  Wood narrowly missed making the starting rotation out of spring training and Maloney had experience from last season.

"Houston is a heavy righthanded team," Baker said.

"We talked about it.  We had an off day so everyone will be rested," LeCure said.  "I was the one they called but I wasn't the only one deserving."

LeCure is 5-2 with a 2.55 ERA and is the reigning International League Pitcher of the Week.  He last pitched on Saturday and turned in a complete game shutout against Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

The former Texas Longhorn pitcher will where number 63.  "I have been 21 all my life except at Texas because it was Roger Clemon's number and retired.  I know Chris Dickerson was 21 here so I'll where 63 which is a multiple of 21."

A math whiz?

"Have you ever seen my transcripts from Texas?" LeCure asked.

It is the first time he was ever in Cincinnati. 

Originally born in Missouri, he was raised in a rural town in Texas so he had no favorite major league team.

"We had three channels.  I didn't even see ESPN until I was in college," LeCure said.

His mom went online right away and bought 23 tickets.  "Before its all done they'll probably be 30," LeCure said.

If nothing else the Reds will enjoy the attendence boost.

No comments:

Post a Comment