About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Young Reds Respond to Baker's Rant

Dusty Baker apologized to the media for not meeting with them on Saturday.

"I don't like to talk when I'm pissed off," Baker said. "I have a short fuse. I was kicked off my little league team three times because of it."

The Reds showed a complete lack of concentration in the 5-0 loss to San Diego on Saturday.

Baker chewed them a new one after.

"I have never not talked to the media after a game," Baker said. "Not in San Francisco or Chicago."

"You yell at your kids but you still love them. It's the same with my team."

People tend to forget no matter how much professional athletes are paid, a majority of them are in their 20's. They're old enough to know better but often have lapses in mature behavior.

Baker used his 12-year old son Darren as an example.

"Often when he messes up, my wife will punish him. He will say 'I love you mom.' She tells him 'love has nothing to do with it.' It's the same here. My dad would make me go outside and get a switch. Then he'd say 'this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.' Your young butt doesn't realize it at the time."

Homer Bailey pitched well at times but two mistakes one to budding slugger Adrian Gonzalez and the other to a talented but struggling young hitter Kyle Blanks cost him four runs. Gonzalez hit his third home run in as many games in the fourth inning to start the games scoring.

The Reds tied the game on singles by Jay Bruce, who has also been struggling and Ramon Hernandez. Bruce has also been struggling but has shown signs this week of coming out of his funk. The 22-year old had three hits to raise his average from .180 to .215.

Blanks started the game hitting .196 but doubled home Chase Headly and Will Venable.

"It was a big hit for Kyle," San Diego manager Bud Black said of his 23-year old outfielder. "It was a big hit for us. It was a good at bat, driving the ball the other way. That was a good sign. He's had some good swings. He doesn't look tentative. He's swinging the bat aggressively. He'll be fine."

Blanks thought along with Bailey and won the duel.

"I've had some tough runs here and there but anybody I've talked to has said to keep swinging. From each at bat I have to take something from it. I try to take it up there the next time. Each game has its own evolution of how they're trying to pitch you. It's just a matter of recognizing it. That at bat I was ahead in the count. I thought it was a good time for him to throw that pitch. I was able to get myself to stay back and drive it."

Scott Rolen took fellow Hoosier and starting pitcher, Clayton Richard, deep to make the score 4-3.

The Reds rallied off reliever Mike Adams in the eighth.

Rolen singled. One out later Bruce doubled to right. Rolen scored when Will Venable, whose father played for the Reds in the 80's, threw the ball to a spot that Gonzalez could not handle as the relay man. Rolen scored the tying run, as Bruce took third.

Hernandez put the Reds ahead with his second run scoring single.

Veteran pitchers took over. Arthur Rhodes pitched a scoreless eighth to get the win. Francisco Cordero saved it getting his teammate from last season, Jerry Hairston to line out to Drew Stubbs in centerfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment