About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, March 18, 2023

Brandon Williamson Makes His Bid For The Starting Rotation Reds Win 7-1

 


   `

Brandon Williamson finished four strong innings against the Oakland A's to make an argument for his inclusion into the Reds' starting rotation. 

The Reds have two spots up for grabs in a field that includes Luis Cessa, who is still pitching for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic, Luke Weaver, who left his last start on March 8 with right forearm tightness and veteran Chase Anderson.

The A's got just a triple from the number nine hitter, Nick Allen and a single by Esteury Ruiz to score its lone run off Williamson, who walked two.  He struck out two and picked off a batter.  "That felt really good," Williamson said. 

"I felt the cleanest I've felt.  It was really good," Williamson said.  "The curveball has been working the best.  It's been getting me ahead of guys.  It's been getting me back into counts and strikeouts.  The two walks frustrate me because I didn't feel I was that wild to walk two guys. It was one batter and I got right back in it.  I didn't feel out of control."

The tall lefty, who turns 25 on April 2, came to the Reds in the trade with Seattle for Eugenio Suarez and Jesse Winker.  He was 6-7 in 27 starts between Chattanooga (14) and Louisville (13) with a 4:11 ERA.

Williamson's bid to make the Reds' roster for opening day to join last season's rookies, Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo and Graham Ashcraft.  Like fellow lefty Lodolo, Williamson pitched for Texas Christian University.

"It is hard to say where I am in the battle for the roster," said Williamson, who broke out a slide step to pick off Esteury Ruiz. "I'd like to think, I've done everything I could to make the club right away and I certainly want to.  I've been putting a lot of attention into doing everything I can do to make it. I just don't know where I'm at relative to the other couple guys."

The Reds got just enough offense against Kyle Muller, who was the main piece in a three-way trade that sent him from Atlanta to Oakland. 

Minor leaguers Noelvi Marte and Alex McGarry, had three hits.  Stuart Fairchild drove in three runs. Vosler, Fairchild and Marte hit doubles off Muller.  Fairchild added a home run. 

"Several of our guys swung the bats well.  It was good to see Noelvi get some hits.  We really like his swing and what he's done in this camp," David Bell said.  "It was a hard day to hit home runs today but Stuart has a lot of power."

Daniel Duarte, Reiver Sanmartin, Ian Gibaut, Daniel Norris and Alex Young pitched scoreless innings in relief. 



 








No comments:

Post a Comment