About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Luis Cessa Returns From WBC To Fight For A Rotation Spot

 


   `

  


Luis Cessa was excited to represent his country in the World Baseball Classic but his longtime goal to be a major league starting pitcher created internal conflict.

Cessa, who will be 31 on April 25, rejoined the Reds after pitching for Team Mexico. 

Cessa pitched against the Milwaukee Brewers in a game that Hunter Greene was scheduled to start.  David Bell elected to get Greene work in a minor league game in which the team can control the environment.

Cessa is battling Brandon Williamson, non roster Chase Anderson and Luke Weaver for two open rotation spots.  Weaver left the game against San Diego on March 8 with tightness in his right forearm. He has not returned to Cactus League play.

Cessa left Team Mexico early to come back to compete for the spot in the Reds' rotation.  

"I made the decision after we beat Puerto Rico," Cessa said.  "I pitched behind Julio (Urias) and we pitched that day.  When I wasn't going to pitch for a couple days.  I called DJ  right after the game and told him I wanted to come back."

The WBC pitchers are limited to 65 pitches.  Cessa was in a rotation as the second man into the game when the starter reached the pitch limit.  Cessa landed late last night with a three-hour time difference.

He pitched three innings, allowing two runs on two hits, both in the first inning. Cessa retired the last eight batters that he face.d against the Brewers.

"Cincinnati gave me the opportunity to fight for a spot in the rotation so I need to pitch.  It was the best decision for me and my family," Cessa said.  "When Cincinnati traded for me I told them in the next couple years I wanted to be a starter. When they gave me the opportunity this year.  I had to come back. I just landed last night. I feel good but I traveled all night and the three hour difference.  I am a little tired." 

If he stayed with Team Mexico, he would have started the season in the bullpen.  Cessa decided to return to fight for the chance to start. He started in the rotation with the New York Yankees but he was up and down between Triple A and the big league club.  

"They told me that if I went to the bullpen, I could stay in the big leagues so I took it," Cessa said.

Cessa was pitch efficient against the Brewers and threw 10 more in the bullpen after he left the game. It was the equivalent of four innings.  He can have two more starts to build his pitch count.

"The experience in the WBC was awesome," Cessa said.  "It was the first time for my country.  I never pitched for Mexico before.  I was really excited to be there. It was a little sad for me to leave but I think it is best for my future. When the Reds' gave me the chance to pitch in the rotation, I didn't think twice. If I stayed with them (Team Mexico) I would start the season in the bullpen."

Cessa would accept either role but clearly, his preference is the starting rotation.

"All my career I was a starter even the first couple years with the Yankees," Cessa said.  "My goal always was to be a starting. I trained for it in the off season. I'm working really hard.  Hopefully, I can make my personal goal and start games this season in Cincinnati.

The Reds lost the game in the bottom of the ninth, a 4-3 defeat.

Jonathan India hit a home run and a double.  Joey Votto walked and singled. Spencer Steer had three hits in three at bats. Henry Ramos returned from Team Puerto Rico and hit a home run.



No comments:

Post a Comment