About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Reiver Sanmartin and Nick Lodolo Make Their Bid For Rotation Spots Tyler Stephenson Has Three Hits

 

 

 

 

Reiver Sanmartin and Nick Lodolo each pitched three innings without allowing an earned run in the Reds' 7-1 win over the Texas Rangers.

Sanmartin won both his starts in September, last year with a 1.54 ERA.  He made his debut on September 27. The left hander compiled a 10-2 record in 17 starts with Chattanooga and Louisville.

This spring Sanmartin, who was smiling ear to ear after his second spring outing, has logged four innings, allowing an unearned run on one hit.  The Rangers scored with the aid of a double error by Colin Moran 

"I feel really good.  I'm ready for the season to start," said Sanmartin.  "I worked on my change and slider and they were good today."

Fans will like that Sanmartin doesn't dawdle when he's on the mound.  He takes the ball from the catcher and is ready to go.

"I like to keep the rhythm quick like that.  I always do.  That way the batter doesn't think about what's the next pitch."

Pitching in the big leagues helped him this spring.

"It really helped a lot. Now you know you can't mess up any pitches," Sanmartin said.

"It was a good day.  He gets outs. He and Lodolo are pitching with real confidence," Bell said."They both feel like they belong and they do.  It is just a matter of making sure it is the right time."

Lodolo was just as effective allowing one hit to the 10 batters he faced.  The Reds' top draft choice in 2019 out of Texas Christian University, has allowed one run in 7 1/3 innings in three spring appearances.  Lodolo is not on the 40-man roster.  He has a shot to start the season in Cincinnati. Luis Castillo and Mike Minor will not be ready for the start of the season.

Lodolo left the game and threw the equivalent of another inning.

"I felt better than the last time.  I want to keep building," Lodolo said.  "I feel like my stuff is good enough. I believe in myself. I've been facing everyone's actual lineup.  It is a confidence builder."

Tony Santillan, Hunter Greene, Vladimir Gutierrez, Jeff Hoffman and Lodolo are in competition to fill the starting rotation behind Tyler Mahle.

Offensively, Tyler Stephenson had three hits and drove in a run. TJ Friedl hit a two=run home run, his second of the spring.  Albert Almora Jr. and Mike Siani had a hit and a walk.  The Reds stole four bases.bei

Donovan Soloano,  who is auditioning for the backup shortstop job, left the game in third inning with a hamstring pull.  "We will see how bad it is tomorrow," Bell said.  Almora left in the after the third inning with soreness in his shoulder.




No comments:

Post a Comment