About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Aramis Garcia Makes His Case For Backup Catcher's Job Tyler Mahle Tunes Up For Opener

 

 

 

 

With the caveat that statistics and individual plays don't mean a whole lot in spring training.  There are more than stats that determine roster decisions but Aramis Garcia has left a positive impression for the job of backup catcher.

Garcia hit his third home run of the spring and threw out Alexander Canario stealing.

David Bell knows Garcia from his year in player development with the San Francisco Giants.

"I know him well from San Francisco," said David Bell, who spent a year in the Giants' player development department. "He was a top prospect for them but didn't get the opportunities but he's still the same player.  I think he's in a good spot here.  We're going to give him a good look.  He's always been able to hit.  I'm going to have J.R. (House) work with him on the catching side of things.  The backup catching job is wide open.  You never know what can happen."

Garcia's home run was the difference in the game.  He caught the Reds' opening day starter, Tyler Mahle, who gave up a run in his 3 2/3 innings.

"He is making a good case," Bell said.  "He can swing the bat.  We have Andrew Knapp here and they're competing for the last spot. It will be tough. They have both shown what they can do.  Garcia can really hit and he's swinging the bat well and making improvements behind the plate."

Mahle seems ready for the season to start.

"I like where I am," Mahle said.  "I threw some good pitches tonight and some bad pitches.  I got a lot of swings and misses on my slider.  I've been working on it.  Last year I had a good fastball and split finger  but my slider wasn't there.  It is good to have three pitches."

"It was nice that Mahle got four innings," Bell said.  "He was really efficient so we could get him up to four innings.  It was just typical Tyler Mahle.  He had a really good fastball. He located it well.  He is right where we want him with one start left."

Tony Santillan and Daniel Duarte held the lead for three innings with Santillan allowing a hit and a walk in two scoreless innings.  Santillan is in a battle to start the season in the starting rotation hebut will work out of the bullpen if he doesn't.  Bell threw some hints that Santillan would start the season in the rotation barring a late spring collapse.

"Wow, the first inning he was doing it with his fastball and his slider," Bell exclaimed.  "In the second inning he just dominated with his slider.  He's pitching with so much confidence.  Still no decisions have been made in his role but no matter what he does, I'm pretty excited for Tony.  He's not afraid of hitters."

The Cubs, Brennan Davis hit a two-run home run off Dauri Moreta to give the Cubs a 4-2 win.






No comments:

Post a Comment