About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Hunter Greene Earns Spot In Reds Rotation Mahle Will Start Home Opener Too

 

 

 


   


Hunter Greene cracked the Reds' starting rotation to start the season.

Tyler Mahle will start opening day against the Atlanta Braves on the road and the home opener against the Cleveland Guardians on April 12.  Greene will make his major league debut April 10 against the Braves.

Reiver Sanmartin, Vladimir Guitirrez will pitch in the other two games of the series. 

It will be one of the least experienced rotations in Reds' history with 123 major league starts combined.

The Reds will need to choose a fifth starter for game six.  It could be rookie Nick Lodolo but that would require a roster move since he is not on the major league roster.

“Hunter had a lot of confidence this day would come but it is still a dream come true,” David Bell said.  “Sometimes for a guy like him it can be more difficult with the expectations.”

Greene was the second player picked in the 2017 draft.

“He's had a tough road with injuries,” said Bell.  Greene missed the 2019 season due to surgery on his right elbow.

“What it comes down to for me is are they ready to handle, not so much the success but the failure. It is such a big part of the game," Bell said.

Greene was told on Monday afternoon that He would face the World Champions.

“I'm still at a loss for words. I knew yesterday but I had to keep it on the down low.  I told my family," Greene said.  “A lot of work went into this. There were so many obstacles, so many ups and downs but it is not going to be the last time I face adversity.  I've learned a lot of life lessons. I had to grow up pretty quick for somethings.”

“I've been challenged all my life. I'm looking forward to facing the World Champions,” Greene said.  “Whatever happens but I'm going out there to compete. I already started looking at who they've got."

His second start will be against the Los Angeles Dodgers in his hometown.

“I will miss Jackie Robinson Day by a day,” Greene said.  “That would mean the world.  I was actually asking if I could keep that jersey.  I would pay whatever they asked.  It is just a historic moment.  I hope one day in the future one of my start dates would be on that day.  He is one of my idols, actually my only baseball idol. I've always looked up to him.  He was a great role model for the game and just for life.”

Luis Castillo and Mike Minor are going to start the season in the injured list.  

Nick Lodolo, the Reds first choice in the 2019 draft is still in the mix but adding him would require the Reds to make room for him on the roster.Tony Santillan will work out of the bullpen.  He was competing for the rotation and pitched well this spring.

“He was told yesterday,” Bell said. “He was built up a little bit so his role might be different in the early going but he will pitch in meaningful games.  The fact that he can go two or three innings will come into play."

Donovan Solano left the game on Tuesday with a strained left hamstring.  He will miss the start of the season.

The Reds optioned TJ Friedl to Triple A Louisville.  Albert Almora Jr and Jake Bauer were reassigned to minor league camp.


No comments:

Post a Comment