About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 23, 2018

Reds Get Riggleman His First Win Sal Romano, Scott Schebler Shine






The Reds put their 3-18 record on the line against the Atlanta Braves.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Sal Romano dueled Mike Foltynewicz, the man that needs to go on Wheel of Fortune and buy a vowel.  Romano took his first victory of the season when the Reds' exploded for five runs in the sixth on the way to an 10-4 win.

Romano's last start against Milwaukee was a five-inning effort marred only by a two-run home run by Eric Thames.  Tonight he was better pitching six innings allowing one earned run.

"I feel like I've been able to locate my pitches better the last two games,' Romano said.

The Reds string of bad luck held when the Braves scored an unearned run in the third inning.  Dansby Swanson walked after Romano retired the first six batters he faced.  Romano struck out Ryan Flaherty and Foltynewicz.  Ender Inciarte dumped a single, the Braves first hit into shallow left.  Adam Duvall;s throw to cut down Swanson, eluded Cliff Pennington and hit Braves thirdbase coach Ron Washington in the back.  Romano chased it down as Swanson headed home.  Romano slipped as he threw and the Braves scored.

Nick Markakis hit his third homer of the season with one out in the fourth.

Foltynewicz was spinning a one-hit shutout as the Reds' came to bat in the fifth.  Romano struck out but Billy Hamilton, batting ninth worked, Foltynewicz' fourth walk.  Scott Schebler, batting leadoff for the first time this season hit his second home run of the season to tie the score.

"It doesn't matter who gives us momentum.  We've been having trouble scoring runs, getting the big hit," Schebler said.  "I have faced him before. I knew he liked to elevate a pitch late in the count.  I didn't realize how quick he was to the plate but Billy was on so I guess he had to speed up."

After Joey Votto singled with two outs,  the Braves brought in Sam Freeman.  Duvall walked to start the frame.  Tucker Barnhart singled sending Duvall to third.  Pennington walked to load the bases. Peter Moylan came in to pitch after Phil Gosselin was announced as the pinch hitter for Romano.  Reds; interim manager Jim Riggleman sent Jesse Winker to hit.  Winker came through with a single to put the Reds on top, 3-2.  Hamilton struck out and Schebler forced Barnhart at home with a bouncer to first.  Jose Peraza singled to score Pennington.  Votto walked to drive in Winker  Scooter Gennett singled to drive in two runs and give the Reds a whopping 7-2 lead.

"All I wanted to do was put the barrel of the bat on the pitch," Winker said.  "Early in the at bat I was trying to hit a fly ball but I got two strikes on me pretty quick.  After that I just wanted to get the barrel of the bat to the ball.  It doesn't matter to me if I pinch hit.  It was my turn to sit. I had to be ready."

Riggleman didn't want to burn a player like Gosselin that early, the sixth inning.

"You don't want to do it that early in the game," Riggleman said.  "In the old days you could because you had a six-man bench.  We were fortunate to have a five-man bench tonight so I could do that.  A lot of times now, we only have a four-man bench."

Wandy Peralta, who had not allowed a run in his 10 prior appearances, covering 9 2/3 innings, pitched a scoreless seventh but singles by Inciarte, Freddie Freeman with a defensive indifference thrown in plated two runs to ruin Peralta's scoreless string.

Raisell Iglasias got the final out in the eighth.

Hamilton singled and stole his fifth base.  Schebler delivered him with a single to left for his third RBI of the game.  Duvall hit a two-run double after Peraza walked.

Iglasias finished the game for his third save in three tries.







No comments:

Post a Comment