About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 23, 2018

The 2018 Reds Are The Best 3-18 Team In Reds History







This is the worst start in Reds' history.

When the Reds' left town a week ago, Bryan Price was the manager.  Jim Riggleman is now in charge of the Reds' renaissance project.

His philosophy for turning the team around?

"We have to play better baseball," Riggleman said after the Reds' returned from an awful 1-5 road trip that dropped the team past its previous worst start of the season which was 3-17.  "It is nice to be home but it's not going to solve our problems.  We're going to get out of it, the sooner the better."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Last season one of the division winner, the Los Angeles Dodgers were 3-17 for one stretch in September.  The Colorado Rockies was an NL Wildcard team with a stretch of 2-11.  The New York Yankees went through a 2-12 stretch but also made the playoffs.

The worst stretches of other playoff teams were Houson 2-9, Cleveland 2-7, Boston 2-7, Minnesota 2-9, Washington 2-6, Chicago Cubs 2-7, and the Diamondbacks 2-9.

The worst start in history belongs to the 1988 Baltimore Orioles that started the season 0-21.  The Reds are a full three games better than that.

Riggleman tried something new by elevating Scott Schebler to the leadoff spot.  Billy Hamilton will bat ninth until he shows that he can get on base on a regular basis.

"I put Schebler in at leadoff, since Winker isn't in the lineup.  We're 3-18 why not try something different?" Riggleman asked.  "We will put Billy at leadoff when he gets going.  We just don't want him going back and forth.  We'd like to hit Schebler down further in the lineup to drive in runs."

Schebler has hit leadoff before and downplayed the move.

"I'm not going to change my approach.  I am an aggressive hitter," Schebler said.  "After the first inning I'm just another batter in the lineup."

Schebler also wished Price well.

"He gave me my first break to be a starter," Schebler said.  "I'm not sure he got a fair shake.  If you ask anyone in the clubhouse, they will tell you what a good man Bryan is.  I don't think he will be down for long."





No comments:

Post a Comment