About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Mets Beat Reds For 14th Straight Time




It took the Mets one pitch to take the lead against Anthony DeSclafani but for good measure the Reds' gave the New York Mets a lovely parting gift in a 6-3 loss.

The Reds were swept in the season series. It was the 13th straight loss to the Mets.  They haven't beaten them since September 6, 2014.  The loss was the Reds' 81st of the season.

"When your this far under .500, to have games like this regularly would make it a long season. This was not our typical game. I hope we don't have one of these for awhile. I don't think we will," Bryan Price said.

 Jose Reyes homered on the first pitch of the game, his sixth.  It was the 24th time in his career that he led a game of with a home run (19 as a Met).

"I was trying to get ahead and Reyes was trying to hit one out and he did," DeSclafani said. "He's been swinging the bat well lately, they all hive this whole series. They have a good lineup and they're playing pretty good."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Reyes scored from third on a wild pitch after shortstop Jose Perazza kicked Yoenis Cespedes' two-out ground ball.  Curtis Granderson hit his 25th home run leading off the sixth.

The Reds put runners on against Mets' start Noah Syndergaard, DeSclafani's teammate in the Toronto Blue Jays' system.

 "Noah (Syndegaard) and I played in A ball together with Toronto," DeSclafani said. "We were piggy backed together. He would start a game and I'd relieve him then I would start a game and he'd relieve me. We keep in touch. I wish him luck now that we aren't playing him."


Perazza opened the bottom of the first with a double and advanced to third with one out but was stranded.  Brandon Phillips singled to leadoff the second but was caught stealing.  Scott Schebler followed with a walk and was thrown out stealing.  Tyler Holt was the third straight batter to reach base in the inning but he was stranded.

Perazza bunted for a single to open the third. 

 'I saw Reyes was back too far," Perazza said through interpreter Julio Morillo. "I told my self to bunt but I am swinging the bat pretty good. I decided to bunt any way on the first pitch."

Eugenio Suarez became the fifth batter of six to reach base but was picked off by Syndergaard as he took off for second.  Perazza tried to score off the rundown but was thrown out at home.  Joey Votto, the sixth batter in seven to reach base, walked.  Adam Duvall flied out.

 "We had some mistakes and missed opportunities," Price said. "Geno leaving early on the pickoff, Schebler not sliding, and not covering home plate, it was bad baseball. Schebler thought he heard the ball fouled off. We have Reyes back if Geno doesn't leave early and they throw through we have a good chance to score and he ends up thrown out at the plate."

Schebler walked again with one out in the fourth.  Holt had an infield single but Tucker Barnhart and DeSclafani struck out.
Suarez singled in the fifth with one out and stayed put as Votto flied out and Duvall struck out.

Hansel Robles replaced Syndegaard in the sixth and kept the shutout going.  Jerry Blevins fanned Votto to end the seventh.

Wilmer Flores hit a two-run home run off Wandy Peralta in the eighth.  It was Flores first career pinch hit home run and his 16th of the season, tying his career high.

The Reds loaded the bases with no outs in the eighth against Gabriel Ynoa.  Duvall walked. Phillips and Schebler each had their second hits of the game.  Addison Reed came on to pitch to Holt, who struck out looking.  Barnhart's single scored Duvall as the bases remained loaded. Pinch hitter Ramon Cabrera forced Phillips out at the plate. Perazza's second double and fourth hit of the game made it 5-3 and put the tying runs in scoring position. Reed struck out Suarez swinging to maintain the lead.

 "I hit the ball really good but I didn't know if it was going to go out, so I ran," Perazza said.  "I've been working really hard. I'm watching video. I feel like I'm going to get three hits every game. I went through 15 games like this in the minor leagues."

Back-to-back doubles by Asdrubal Cabrera and Cespedes off Tony Cingrani in the ninth provided the final margin.

Jeurys Familia came in the ninth looking for his 47th save in 50 tries.  Votto greeted Familia with a single to give the Reds a baserunner in every inning but the Reds failed to score.


No comments:

Post a Comment