About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Junior Guerra Shuts Down Reds Brewers Hold Fouth Place




The Milwaukee Brewers used the wildness of Reds starter Tim Adleman and the "power' of diminutive Scooter Gennett to salvage the third game of the series, 7-0.

Junior Guerra made them stand up, allowing the Brewers to maintain a 2 1/2 game hold on fourth place in the National League Central division.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Adleman walked Chris Carter and Gennett to open the second inning.  Both were on a 3-2 count immediately after Adleman struck out Ryan Braun looking on a full count pitch to end the first.

 "We walked six guys and five scored," Bryan Price said. "I think we hit more balls on the screws than they did but they took advantage of walks. You look at his body of work. He only has 51 innings so it's hard to tell but take the second inning. He had to walks then soft contact, soft contact and they had two runs."

"After the home run by Gennett we were never able to get back in the game," Price continued.


Domingo Santana singled to load the bases with no outs.  Adleman nearly escaped.  He retired Orlando Arcia on a foul pop to Joey Votto at firstbase.  Manny Pina singled to score Carter and Gennett.
Carter walked again with two outs in the third.  This time the 5'10" Gennett lifted a fly to right that cleared the fence for his 12th home run of the season.

Jose Perazza tripled with one out in the third but was stranded.  The Reds wasted a one-out double by Eugenio Suarez in the fourth inning.

Adleman allowed just three hits in five innings but the walks and the home run ball produced all four runs.

 "I buried myself tonight," Adleman said.. "I was a bit too erratic and that was a result of me being way too fine. They are good professional hitters. I don't want to take anything away from them but I gave them too much credit. I should have attacked them instead trying to make too good of pitches. It is frustrating when I think I kind of beat myself out there.

Abel De Los Santos made his Reds' debut in the sixth.

Guerra in his third start off the disabled list,  pitched six shutout innings allowing three hits and two walks.  He also hit Suarez with a pitch.

Santana unloaded the bases with a three-run home run in the eighth off Ross Ohlendorf, who walked Ryan Braun and Carter.  It was Sanatana's eighth home run of the year.

It was the 92nd home run allowed by the Reds' bullpen this year, tying the Major League record.   The 1964 Kansas City Athletics bullpen also allowed 92 home runs.




No comments:

Post a Comment