About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Hernan Iribarren and Manny Pina Show Up Colin Kaepernick On National Anthem






Two Venezuelan players challenged each other to stay at attention longer for the National Anthem delivered magnificently by the local group the Mistics.

Hernan Iribarren of the Reds and the Brewers' Manuel Pina both from Barquisimeto, Venezuela tried to be the last to stand at attention in contrast to the tact that Colin Kaepernick has taken in his refusal to stand for the Star Spangled Banner.

"It just happened. It wouldn't have worked if we tried to plan it," Iribarren said.. "Brandon (Phillips) said he would pay my fine. We tried to do it in the minor leagues but it didn't work. Manuel Pina and I are from the same hometown. I told myself he has to move before me."

The practice of showing such support during the anthem has become popular in the minor leagues and amatuer baseball.


"I've never seen that done before. It was a big win for us," Bryan Price said.


Click the link below to hear the Mistics sing the Anthem at a Cincinnati Cyclones game.

https://youtu.be/FIvEp_GgOlQ

No comments:

Post a Comment