About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 9, 2015

Mesoraco Concussion Leads Reds Walking Wounded



http://donatelifeohio.org/
Devin Mesoraco was scratched from the lineup on Sunday with a mild concussion from taking a direct hit on his mask Saturday in Surprise against the Kansas City Royals.

Mesoraco is being tested and it is unsure when he will be allowed to return to baseball activities.  He is confined to cardio work on a stationary bicycle.

It was his third concussion as a pro.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Mesoraco suffered a concussion in 2010 in Double A from a collision at the plate.

The 26-year old catcher was ejected from a game on July 30, 2012 after he was ejected for arguing a call at the plate which involved a collision and served a two-game suspension for bumping umpire Chad Fairchild.  He was placed on the seven-day concussion list on August 1.

"This was different than the first two," Mesoraco said.  "They were from collisions. I had more headaches the last time. With this one everything is just hazy. The more movement the more active."

Concussion protocols have been established to protect players from long-term effects.

"We'll just go through the protocol," Mesoraco said. "It is tough for me to sit around but that's what you have to do. Right now I just want to get back to work and I can't do it. I did 20 minutes on the bike today. Tomorrow, I'll walk on the treadmill."

Mesoraco is looking at upgrading this catching equipment.

"We may try a heavier grade mask," Mesoraco said. "We will maybe put some stuff in my helmet."

Neither Mesoraco or manager Bryan Price are not overly concerned about it.

"Nothing is going to stop me from playing," Mesoraco said. "At least it happened early. They do a good job of tracking this to make sure I'm alright."

"You are always concerned," Price said. "We would want him to feel 100 percent We will rely on the medical staff but I don't feel like the sky is falling."

OTHER PLAYERS

Todd Frazier, Brandon Phillips and Billy Hamilton were also scratched for Sunday's game.

"You can classify those as general aches and pains," Price said. "With 64 guys in camp it didn't make sense to run those guys out there."

Hamilton ran into the fence against the Cubs on Saturday.  Phillips collided with Junior Lake on the basepaths at Sloan Park on Friday. Hamilton had ice on his shoulder.  Phillips was nursing a banged up knee. Frazier just had some minor discomfort.

Phillips and Frazier are playing today. (Monday the 8th).

Hamilton shoulder will keep him out a little longer. He will not play today or tomorrow (Tuesday 9th)

No comments:

Post a Comment