About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 13, 2015

Michael Lorenzen Earning Respect With Reds




http://donatelifeohio.org/



The smiling face of Michael Lorenzen could very well be beaming in Cincinnati this summer.with Reds/ manager Bryan Price smiling as well.

Lorenzen, a natural athlete, can throw the ball 100 mph and hour with so little apparent effort that it looks even faster.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"He looks so effortless in his delivery," Price said.  "He has a big arm with good deception. He may be able to help us. We may have to make an organizational decision."

Lorenzen took batting practice on Wednesday and was equally impressive.

The 23-year old from Anaheim, California, played centerfield for Cal State - Fullerton where he was a teammate of Chad Wallach, who came to the Reds in the Mat Latos trade with Miami.

Lorenzen's arm was so good, he would  often play centerfield for eight innings then come to the mound to close the game.

The Reds jumped at the chance to take him in the Competitive Lottery A draft in 2013, the 38th player drafted.

"I love what I'm seeing right now. We all do," Price said. "He's a tremendous competitor."

Lorenzen has made a commitment to pitching and is a sponge when it comes to learning the breaking pitches.

The 6'3" is having fun in camp.

"It's like Christmas everyday," Lorenzen said. "My idea coming into camp is to show them everyday that I'm ready.  This is school for me, I'm learning as much as I can."

Like the Eric Liddle, the miler on the British Olympic team in 1924, immortalized in the 80's movie Chariots of Fire, Lorenzen feels the spirit of the Lord in him with his athletic pursuits.

'My motivation isn't to make a lot of money," said Lorenzen, who often plays touch football with the kids in his condo complex after workouts.. "It is to help people each and every day. I want to use the gifts God gave me. Where much is given. Much is expected."


No comments:

Post a Comment