About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Terry Francona On Pete Rose Involved As Reds Show All-Star Logo



http://donatelifeohio.org/


The Reds showed the 2015 logo for the All=Star game to be held at Great American Ball Park this morning before the Reds and Indians met to resolve the location of the Ohio Cup.

See Steve Watkins coverage of the unveiling in the Cincinnati Business Courier.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/08/06/reds-kick-off-all-star-game-buzz-with-new-logo.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2014-08-06&u=qh2D49n7Wo2P/JYC9y8Xi26DvVy&t=1407359969

Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona is hopeful that the event will include Rose.  The commissioner's office has given permission for Cincinnati's native son to be involved.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"I wish there was something resolved before about Pete (Rose)," Francona said.  "I don't know if that'll happen but I think that will be really cool. It is not my area to give a vote but that would be a nice coming out party. I don't know the ins and outs of that.  I'm not privy to things. I'm not supposed to be. I am so biased because I really love Pete. I hope there is someday because anybody that knows Pete, knows how he feels about the game. I think that would be really something special."

Francona played for the Reds during the 1987 and went to Cleveland the next season, 1988 the last time Cincinnati hosted the All-Star game.
Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net

"It will give Cincinnati the opportunity to show what a good baseball city it is," Francona said.  "This is a wonderful place to play baseball.  They love their team."

"Opening day here is like no other," said Francona, who hit one of his three home runs that season on Opening Day off Montreal's Floyd Youmans.  "I had always heard about it. This was back in the day before ESPN when the Reds always played the first game of the season. It was the traditional opener for the league.  I temember I had five years in the league and I was surprised at how the city just shut down, kids got out of school, they had a parade."

No comments:

Post a Comment