About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Devin Mesoraco Gets a 3 Game Suspension

Major League Baseball has suspended Reds' catcher Devin Mesoraco for three games for bumping umpire Chad Fairchild while arguing ball and strike calls Monday night.  He also got fined an undisclosed amount.

"It will be appealed and we're going to go from there," Mesoraco said.  "At this point Walt (Jocketty) and my agent are handling it.  It comes down to it, I'll do whatever.  Hurting the team by being suspended is a bad thing on my part.  I feel bad about it.  Whatever happens should be in the best interests of the team.  I don't care what they fine me."

While he regrets that a suspension will hurt the team that will have to play a man short for three games, Mesoraco pointed out that he was sticking up for his pitchers.

"That's what is boils down to.  With Mike (Leake) we weren't getting many calls and with Alfredo (Simon) when he was in there.  I care about what the players in the clubhouse think.  I care about what the coaches think.  I don't need any umpires to like me.  I'm just trying to be respected in the clubhouse.  I was frustrated.  I let me emotions out."

Mesoraco is free to play pending an appeal.

Dusty Baker did not know when the appeal would be heard.

"We'll submit our case and hopefully get a break on the amount of time," Baker said.  "It's not a pleasant situation for him (Mesoraco).  He got emotional.  We've all been there.  He's learning.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get there in time to keep him from getting thrown out.  I let him go because I thought it was over.  When a guy is incensed he doesn't see or hear anybody.  You're supposed to stick up for your pitchers but not stick out.  He's young. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way."

The Reds have to bring get a catcher while Mesoraco is out.

"It's hard enough to go with two catchers, let alone one," Baker said.  "The emergency catcher would probably be Cairo or Valdez if we can find catcher's equipment to fit him."


No comments:

Post a Comment