About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Corky Miller Crushes the Ball in Early Batting Practice

Crash Davis with the fu manchu, Corky Miller, was punishing the ball in batting practice off Billy Hatcher.

Reds 1962 -66
They call him Buzz.  Hatcher issued challenge after challenge and Buzz responded.  With every home run, Jim Maloney would say, "It got up in the jet stream."   A typical pitcher's reaction.

I was standing between Maloney and Johnny Bench as they talked about the old days.  Maloney and Marty Keough, who played for the Reds in the early sixties, shared a house during spring training.  Maloney taught Matty Keough, who grew up to be a major league pitcher, how to fish.  "I'd get finished early on days that I didn't pitch and Marty had to play in the games," Maloney said or the Reds spring training in Tampa.  "I would drive separately and get home before Marty."

The pair of Reds lived across from Mt. Airy Forest during the season.  Matt played knothole baseball in Mt. Airy.  The younger Keough was hit in the head with a line drive while in the Oakland A's dugout.

Marty is a scout for St. Louis Cardinals.  He hit .242 with 43 home runs an 176 RBI in 11 seasons.
Matt pitched for nine season with a career record of 58-43.  His best season was with Oakland in 1980, he was 16-13 with a 2.92 ERA in 32 starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment