About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Eduardo Perez is in the House

I'm in my temporary home at the Comfort Suites in beautiful downtown Goodyear.

I went out to get the Johnny Bench's Homeplate duffle bag that I inherited from my dad that has my weights and workout clothes.

At the front desk checking in was Eduardo Perez, one of the truly nice people in the game.  Eduardo, who had a promising career take a south turn by a beanball that restricted his vision, is working as a Special Assistant for the Cleveland Indians general manager, Chris Antonetti.

Perez is still an analyst for ESPN.

I could not help but thinking he should be in the Reds camp but he played just three of his 13 seasons with the Reds, 1996-98. He appeared in 208 games with Cincinnati.  His best season in Cincinnati, Perez played in 106 games, hitting .253 with 16 home runs and 52 RBI.  The next season when Dmitri Young was getting more playing time, Perez showed his strength of character.

"How can I complain," he said.  "Dmitri is out there hitting doubles all over the place."

As a competitor hie did not like sitting but knew that the team came first.

No comments:

Post a Comment