About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Matt Klinker Competes With Many For Reds Job

Matt Klinker, the fun loving Lakota West and Furman University grad, is trying to crack a young, deep, talented staff.

"It's exciting," Klinker said after having a physical at his clubhouse cubicle.

"I want to perform well and turn some heads."

Klinker, who freinds affectionately call Klinkjaw, is 26 and spent three full seasons in the Reds system after being selected with the 15th pick in the 2007 draft.

He us 28-24 with a 3.90 ERA in professional baseball.

The Reds are loaded with good, young pitching talent.

"Our guys came in great shape and a lot of them got here early," Dusty Baker said.  "That tells me they realize that there is a lot of competition."

Baker said that he would get seven or eight pitchers ready as starters.  He said that there are a couple spots open for competition in the bullpen.

"We have a lot of guys that have major league experience that are still on the radar, like Daniel Ray Herrera.  Sam LeCure and Matt Maloney have been knocking on the door.  Don't forget we have Dontrelle Willis too," Baker said.

The competition doesn't scare Klinker.

"It's a good problem for the organization to have," Klinker said.  "We're stacked with pitching.  The cream will rise."

Klinker started 73 games in the minors and relieved in 15 other games. He is not locked into to either role.

"They're going to try me in a couple different roles in spring training.  I'll just do my best in whatever situation they throw me in."

No comments:

Post a Comment