About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

JD Martinez Powers Red Sox Over Reds


 ` J

JD Martinez hit his 12th home run of the season and drove in a run with a triple to lead the Boston Red Sox over the Reds, 5-3.

Rob Refsnyder belted his fifth home run of the season to ruin the night of Reds' starter, Nick Lodolo.

The Reds rookie pitched five innings and allowed just three hits but he walked three and hit three batters, extending the Reds record by hitting 98 opposing batters this season.  In his two previous outings he struck out 11 and didn't walk a batter. Lodolo allowed five runs in 20 1/3 innings.

Red Sox starter Bryan Bello gave up TJ Friedl's seventh home run but pitched out of a bases loaded, no out jam in the third inning.

"He had a really tight slider that made for some tough at bats," David Bell said.  "We didn't get any runs in that inning. That was the key to the game.  Give him credit."

Nick Senzel had to leave the game in the third inning. He ran into the center field fence trying to catch Martinez' triple.Tommy Pham doubled off Hunter Strickland to start the ninth trotted home on Rafael Devers 27th home run.

"I didn't have my best stuff but it could have gone more sideways,' Lodolo said.  "The shape of the curve ball wasn't three.  I tried to keep us in it.  The one thing that stood out was the pitch to Martinez.  That was bad.  I missed and I have no where to miss on that guy.  The home run to Refsnider was a good swing.  I thought I got the ball in there pretty good."

The Reds battled in the ninth, loading the bases with one out against Matt Strahm.  Suart Fairchild took over for the injured Senzel and dumped a single into shallow center field.  Spencer Steer, pinch hitter, Alejo Lopez and Jonathan India walked to score a run.

Alex Cora, the Red Sox manager brought in John Schrieber.  Kyle Farmer hit a fly to deep center to make it 5-3 but he got Jake Fraley to ground out to first base to earn his eighth save.

It was the Reds' 90th loss of the season with 14 games left.

No comments:

Post a Comment