About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Brewers Use More Power To Sweep Reds

 


Hunter Renfroe hit his daily home run against Reds' pitching and provided Adrian Houser with enough runs for the Milwaukee Brewers to sweep the Reds in a 6-3 win.

The Reds drop to 23-43.  The 20 games under .500 is the low mark this season.

"We had a tough series against the Brewers," David Bell said.  "We've played them well in the past and wanted to keep the momentum going, so yes it was tough.  We get to do it again Tuesday.  That will be our focus. We have the day off tomorrow.  Sometimes it is easier to come right back but we really need it."

Like the first two games of the series the Brewers used the home run ball to jump out to an early lead.  Mike Minor of the Reds and Adrian Houser of the Brewers matched each other with three scoreless innings.

Andrew McCutchen a Reds' antagonist from his days with the Pittsburgh Pirates, nearly hit a home run but it hit high off the left field wall for a double.  Luis Urias doubled down the third base line to put the Brewers up a run.  Victor Caratini hit his fifth home run of the season for a three-run lead.

The Reds fought back in the bottom of the inning against Houser.

Tommy Pham drew his second walk of the game.  Joey Votto singled to right on a 3-2 pitch.  Pham was running on the pitch and made it to third easily. Kyle Farmer hit a ground ball to shortstop but beat the relay to score Pham.  Mike Moustakas walked with two out.  Albert Almora Jr. hit a two-run double to tie the score. 

The Brewers used two singles and a walk to load the bases against Minor in the sixth.  Number nine hitter Mark Mathias broke the tie with a sacrifice fly to left.

"I was getting frustrated," Minor said.  "I hung some change ups.  I made a change to my delivery. The change up has been my worst pitch.  It is usually my best pitch.  I hung a change up to Caratini.  It was really frustrating in my last inning.  I faced that kid (Mathias) in the minor leagues and on rehab.  He never swung at a curve ball.  I felt comfortable getting ahead with the curve.  He didn't hit it well but well enough to hit a sac fly.  That's not what I wanted.  I wanted him to hit a ground ball."

Joel Kuhnel replaced Minor in the top of the seventh.  Minor, who was looking to even his record at 2-2, pitched six innings, allowing four runs on six hits and three walks.

Hunter Renfroe hit a no-doubt home run with McCutchen aboard in the seventh.  it was his third in the series and 13th of the season.  

The Reds loaded the bases again in the seventh with two outs against Trevor Kelley.  Brandon Drury singled to center and Pham beat out an infield hit to the third base side of the mound.  The safe call survived the Brewers challenge.  Milwaukee manager Craig Counsel brought in Hoby Milner, a left hander, to pitch to Votto.  Milner struck Votto out on four pitches.

Devin Williams started the ninth for Milwaukee, looking to stay perfecher t with his fifth save in five attempts.  The Brewers regular closer Josh Hader is on paternity leave.  The Reds went down quietly.








No comments:

Post a Comment