About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Hunter Greene To Start Against The Los Angeles Angels

 


Hunter Greene hasn't pitched compeitivly for most of the last three years but tonight will have a Major League uniform when he pitches against his hometown Los Angeles Angels.

 Greene was the second pick in the 2017 draft and the highest ever Reds pick since the amatuer draft was established in 1965. The 21-year old, who was picked after his senior year at Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, California, was also an accomplished high school shortstop. Many scouts think he has major league potential at that position in addition to his ability to pitch. His fastball has been clocked as high as 103 miles per hour. 

 Greene started 18 games for the Dayton Dragons in 2018 with a 3-7 record and a 4.48 ERA. He last started on July 26, just two weeks after he appeared in the Futures Game during the 2018 All-Star break in Washington, D.C. 

 The right hander suffered an elbow injury in that forced "Tommy John" surgery.  He spent all of 2019 recovering.

The Reds placed him in Mason, Ohio for their camp for extra players for the 2020 season.  The minor league season was cancelled.  The Reds wanted Greene to be around more established players.

"It was awesome," Greene said. "A lot of guys had to stay home.  The biggest takeaway for me is just to be around the major league life and see the day-to-day work.  Getting the innings in was great but the focus for me was soaking up as much information as possible."

The effects of the surgery hasn't caused a setback.

"I'm back to those numbers (plus 100 mph) but my focus is now on my secondary pitches<" Greene said.

He made some adjustments in his delivery, designed to put less stress on his elbow.

"It was challenge to get out in front from shortening my arm action to getting out the full extension," Greene said.  "With repetition it helps to be aware of where my body is.  After two months, I'm good to go."

Greene's sole goal is to pitch in the regular season for the Reds this season no matter what the role is.

by /The Reds need to replace Trevor Bauer and Anthony DeSclafani in the starting rotation.  The game against the Angels which is going to be televised by Fox Sports West at 8:05 ET.



No comments:

Post a Comment