About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 2, 2020

Reds Cost David Price Cactus League Debut Win


Mookie Betts and David Price two guys who played for the Boston Red Sox last year challenged the Reds and Sonny Gray.  Trevor Bauer backed up Gray because the Reds have the day off on Tuesday.

Represening 40% of the starting rotation, based on their performance the Reds are in good hands.  Gray allowed a home run to Matt Beaty but accomplished his goal of getting up and down three times,

"It was a fun day.  I feel good about it," said Gray, who had dinner with Price two nights ago.  Gray and Price are from nearby towns in Tennessee.  They both went to Vanderbilt University and both worked with Reds' pitching coach Derek Johnson there.

 "David left there in 2007,"I got there in 2009," Gray said.  "He is from Murfreesboro and I'm from Smyrna so we knew about each other.

Bauer thtew three scoreless innings, allowing two hits and striking out two.

"Everything was really, really good today.  I'm really happy with my velocity," Bauer said. "I wasn't sure where I would be coming into spring training. I got both of my strikeouts on change ups to righties.  It is something that I want to do but haven't been able to do in the past.  That's really encouraging."

The Reds jumped on Price for two runs in the first.

Shogo Akiyama walked After Joey Votto struck out, Freddie Galvis doubled over Betts head in right field.  Jesse Winker's single drov in both runners.

Curt Casali singled home a run in the third inning.  Derek Dietrich got a run home with a long sacrifice fly later in the inning.

Thr Reds got two more runs in the fifth.  Winker singled for the second time.  Aristedes Aquino was hit by a pitch on the hand.  He left the game but he is ok according to David Bell.  Diettich's second single scored Winker and Christian Colon, who ran for Aquino.

Reds releivers kept the Dodgers in check.

Lucas Sims pitched a scorless seventh.  Josh Smith allowed a run on a hit and a walk in the eighth.
Jose De Leon shiut down his former teammates with a strong ninth inning.

"Both are pitching with a lot of confidence, using all their pitches.  It is fun to watch," Bell said.  "De Leon was really good. He had good life on his fastball and a good change to go with it.  That is the best we've seen him. It's nice to see what he's capable of."






















No comments:

Post a Comment