About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Scooter Gennett's Quest For Batting Tittle Curtailed By Injury





Scooter Gennett is out of the lineup with a mild strain in his right bicep.

The ailment will likely prevent him from challenging for the National League batting title.  Gennett is is hitting .310 with two games left to play.  He is fourth in the League behind leader Christian Yellich at .322,  Freddie Freeman of Atlanta at .312 and Anthony Rendon of Washington at .311,

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Lorenzo Cain of  Milwaukee is also at .310 and Ben Zobrist of the Chicago Cubs is at .309.

Dilson Herrera will probably finish out the year at secondbase for the Reds', who are trying to prevent losing 96 games

"I took an awkward swing," Gennett said.  "It's nothing that like something that hinders me from hitting or throwing too much but it's something that, at this point of the year and where we're at, all things considered it would be stupid to risk making it worse."

http://donatelifeohio.org/
If the last two games were meaningful to the Reds or even to the Pirates, Gennett would play with the soreness.

"It is probably from swinging at too many change ups and off speed pitches down in the dirt," Gennett said.  "I've been doing that a lot lately.  This is the result.  Maybe my body is telling me, I'm doing something wrong."

Gennett could catch Yellich at .316 if Gennett went 5-for-10 and Yellich 0-for-10.  Then the other players results would factor in too.

"It's whatever you know," Gennett said.  "It would be nice to be at the top but at the same point. I'm sure to him and every body else, it's not as important as making the playoffs and possibly playing in the World Series. It is another reason I have to be smart about my body and get into the off season healthy."

Reds in other categories have a shot at leading the league or setting a franchise best.

Jose Peraza has 182 hits the same as Yellich for third in the NL.  Freeman has 191 and Nick Markakis has 184.  Peraza needs three more hits to catch Barry Larkin as the Reds' shortstop with the most hits in a season.  Larkin had 185 hits in 1990 for the most hits in a season by a shortstop.

Eugenio Suarez in spite of a September slump has an outside chance to catch leader Matt Carpenter as the home run leader.  Carpenter has 36; Suarez 33.  Suarez has 103 RBI and trails Javier Baez the NL leader with 111.




No comments:

Post a Comment