About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Michael Lorenzen Does It All To Down Pirates





Michael Lorenzen pitched scoreless baseball and drove in a run in the Reds' 3-0 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Lorenzen pitched into the sixth inning and had two outs and the bases empty when he walked Josh Bell and allowed singles by Corey Dickerson and Jung Ho Kang to load the bases.  David Hernandez rescued Lorenzen, preventing the Pirates from scoring.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

Billy Hamiloton hit a triple and scored on Jose Peraza's sacrifice fly in the third inning.

Eugenio hit his 34th home run of the season to start the Reds' offense in the fourth.  His home run off Pirates'starter, Jameson Taillon,  was a carbon copy of the two-run home run he hit Friday night to center field..  Suarez has driven in 104 runs this season.  Dilson Herrera doubled with two outs and scored when Lorenzen singled sharply through the hole at shortstop.  It was Lorenzen's 10th RBI of the season and put his season batting average at .300 for the season with nine hits in 30 at bats, that includes four home runs.

"I like that he hit those balls to center," Jim Riggleman said.  "It's not an easy place to hit them but it means he's not pulling off the ball.  He had kind of gotten a little habit in September but when he stays on the ball.  His strength allows him to hit the ball to center."

http://donatelifeohio.org/
Lorenzen picked up his fourth win and dropped his earned run average to 3.11 for the season.  He made 44 relief appearances and three starts.  It was the longest outing for Lorenzen since July 31, 2015 when he made 21 starts.  His ERA as a starter it is 2.64.

"He did a really nice job. He and Taillon did a really nice job," Riggleman said.  "It was a tough day for hitters with the background.  Mike got a lot of ground balls and strikeouts when needed.  He is such a great competitor and strong kid. We have not had him up and down for six innings ever.  It was time to get him out of there."

Lorenzen wanted to go farther into the game.

"My pitch count was low.  He knows I want to compete," Lorenzen said.  "I was upset with myself letting three guys get on with two outs in the sixth.  I don't think it's any secret that starting is something I want to do. I'm trying to get better.  There are a lot of ways I can get better in the off season.  I continue to grow as a pitcher.  I need a put away pitch.  I get guys 0-2, 1-2 all the time. I think my pitch count would be better if I had something I could go to, I want a pitch to get soft contact but when you want to get that strikeout you need that strikeout."

Lorenzen throws a cut fastball, sinker an four-seam fastball along with a curve and change up.


"That's three variation of the fastball," Lorenzen.  "That's why I love starting because I have three variations.  I threw more curveball in the sixth inning."

As a .300 hitter, Lorenzen takes pride in his hitting.  He was a two-way player at Cal State - Fullerton.

"I hit in the off season. I take hitting very seriously," Lorenzen said.  "I hit every day with Tony Jaramillo (assistant hitting coach).  I will stick with my routine from being a reliever.  With my background being a position player, I love taking batting practice before the game.  I love being on the field adapting to the environment, the weather and determining what my body feels like.  I think even if I am a starter, I will do that the rest of my career.  For me it's a unique case, I don't need to fit the mold of a starter."

Hernanadez and Jared Hughes preserved the shutout into the ninth.

Raisell Iglesias entered, seeking his 30th save in 34 attempts.  He retired the Pirates in order.

The Pirates were shutout for the 15th time this season.  The Reds snapped a seven-game losing streak to the Pittsburgh.










No comments:

Post a Comment