About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Zach Cozart And Friends Outslug Pirates Close To Within Four Games Of Fourth Place





Zack Cozart’s salary drive got into high gear against the Pittsburgh Pirates’ on Friday night in the Reds 4-2 win.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Cozart, who is a free agent at the end of the season, turned in his fifth career multi-home run game with his 21st and 22nd homers off Pirates starter, Chad Kuhl.  Joey Votto hit his 35th in th first inning to back the pitching of Homer Bailey.

The Reds would like to have him back but there are economic forces in the works.

 “There has been no contract talk right now. I’m in a good spot  I want to win. I’m 32-years old.  I love Cincinnati and my family does,"  Cozart said.


 The  offensive year that he's having is creating a chance for him to cash in.

“Cozart found his offensive stride in his 30‘s. He’s kept his power up and is still around .300 with close to .400 on base," Bryan Price said.  "We would like to see him back.  There are some limitations to keeping him. This is his first chance at free agency.  His first chance to leverage his success.  I don’t know if that is enough for him to give a homerown discount.”

Cozart's offensive skills paved the way for the Reds win.

 “It feels good to be mostly healthy at this point in the season," Cozart said.  "I fell like I’m good for 15 (homers).  The biggest thing is not chasing hits.  I’m chasing a good swing on and if I make an out I make an out. I wasn;t looking for a pitch honestly.  He was throwing 97 and I’d never faced him before. I wanted to see what he had.  At that speed, all I wanted to do was put the barrel of the bat on the ball.”

Scott Schebler contributed his 27th long ball in the fifth inning.

Bailey had one tough inning, the third.  The Pirates loaded the bases with one out but Bailey limited the damage to a sacrifice fly by rookie Jordan Luplow.

Bailey pitched 5 2/3 innings, leaving with the bases loaded and two outs.  Michael Lorenzen threw one pitch to Elias Diaz who bounced out to Votto at first.

 Bailey picked up his fifth win with 5 2/3 innings, allowing one run on five hits. He walked two and struck out seven.

The contract that Bailey signed will in all probability keep him in a Reds' uniform in 2018.   The game was an indication but not proof that he has over come his multitude of injuries.

“I liked Homer’s fastball command.  He clustered a lot of good pitches," Price said.”“I would like to see him next year if he is all the way back. He had a lot of work on his elbow.  The first couple of months next year will tell.  He is looking a lot better now than when we first activated him.”

Bailey is cautiously optimistic.

“My arm is starting to get there," Bailey said. "I missed 2 1/2 months of preparation.  A good off season will help.  I get to 100 pitches and feel good but there’s another gear that I have to get to.”

Raisell Iglesias finished off the Pirates for his 27th save in 28 tries.








No comments:

Post a Comment