About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Rookies Shine In Reds Win





Da Wink and Big Sally otherwise known as Jesse Winker and Sal Romano turned in veteran like performances in the Reds 2-1 win over Ivan Nova and the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Romano entered the game lugging a 4.54 ERA and a 4-6 record, frustrated the Pirates by widely scattering five hits.

Big Sally and Nova took a scoreless draw into the seventh inning.  Romano was aided by three slick plays by Eugenio Suarez at thirdbase and two above average grabs by Adam Duvall in left

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Nova surrendered a single to Joey Votto until Winker lined his sixth home run into the happy fans in the rightfield bleachers.

“It was fun playing behind Sal tonight," Winker said. "It was cool to be a part of the game. The last three or four games I felt like I’ve hit the ball hard but into tough luck.”

Winker didn't hit for much power but gets on base at a very good rate.



He hit two home runs in 299 at bats at Louisville but was on base at a .395 rate.

“I didn’t worry about my home run numbers in the minor leagues," Windkr said.. "Every coach, I’ve ever had told me to keep doing what I’m doing.  Don’t get caught up in the home run numbers. I was trying to get on base.  I knew the guys behind me would drive me in.  The ball just carried out.”

 With Winker in the lineup, the first four batters in the Reds' lineup have a ..365, 391, .452 and ..375 on-base percentage. Winker, Cozart, Votto and Suarez.

Winker's home run opened the Reds offense.

"There is a good flow to the offense," Bryan Price said.

Zack Cozart followed with a double.  Votto lined to left but Suarez walked.  Scooter Gennett, in his first game back from a hand injury greeted reliever Dovydas Neverauskas with a single up the middle.  Cozart scored but Suarez was cauight in a rundown.  Suarez dodged Pirates long enough for Gennett to reach second.   Scott Schebler struck out to end the inning.

Romano returned to the mound for the eighth with 90 pitches.  Since August 13 when the Milwaukee Brewers hung six runs on the big righthander, Romano allowed nine runs in 37 2/3 innings (1.83) when he walked out for the eighth.

It became Romano’s longest outing when Jordy Mercer bounced to the mound, having turned in back-to-back seven innings on August 18 and 24.

“I felt I got into a good rhythm," Romano said.. "I trusted Tucker.  I had fastball command and a curveball that I could throw for strikes. The difference is confidence.  You have to believe that you’re better than the hitter.”

Romano had no trouble with the Pirates in the eighth.

Patrick Kivlehan hit for Romano in the bottom of the eighth.

“The decision to let Sal finish was tough and not tough," Price said.. "I knew he was up third in the eighth.  If he had to run the bases, knowing we didn’t have Iglesias and Lorenzen made it easy. I would have set myself up.  I had Reed and Schackelford. I wanted them to have a clean inning. It was tough because I really wanted Sal to finish.  He had pitches left.“”

Romano finished with eight innings of shutout baseball on five hits, no walks and six strikeouts.

He dropped his ERA to 4.09

Kevin Schackelford rather than Raisell Iglesias was given the task of preserving the game with Jordan Luplow, Andrew McCuthchen and Josh Bell due up for the Pirates.

Schackelford struck out Luplow on three pitches.   McCuthchen made it a one-run game with his 26th home run   Bell popped to short.  David Freese stepped in representing the tying run.  Schackelford got ahead in the count 1-2.  He missed with the next two pitches bringing it to a full count. Freese fouled off two pitches before drawing a walk.  Bryan Price visited the mound as Christopher Bostic ran for Freese.  Cody Reed came on to pitch to Gregory Polanco.

 Reed has had his struggles here but he’s got the stuff and fastball, slider is a perfect matchup for Polanco," Price said.

Reed, a housemate of Romano's, was seeking his first career save.

Reed got ahoad with a called strike. Polanco grounded out to Gennett to end the drama.




Bryan Price

“He just pounded the strike zone with good stuff and good location.  That allowed him to pitch into the eighth inning.”

“The decision to let Sal finish was tough and not tough.  I knew he was up third in the eighth.  If he had to run the bases, knowing we didn’t have Iglesias and Lorenzen made it easy. I would have set myself up.  I had Reed and Schackelford. I wanted them to have a clean inning. It was tough because I really wanted Sal to finish.  He had pitches left.“”


Sal Romano



Jesse Winker


No comments:

Post a Comment